PAfirsttimemom Guest

Default Carriers for baby facing out -- Babytrekker?

Hi, all. I've been looking for a carrier to replace my Bjorn, which has become uncomfortable now that DS is getting older and heavier (almost 6 months and 17+ pounds). He loves being in the Bjorn in the facing out position so he can see the world. I think the Ergo looks great and many people recommend it, but unless I'm mistaken, baby faces in, not out, so I wonder whether DS will like it as well as he does the Bjorn. Does anyone have any experience with the Babytrekker, which can be worn with baby in that facing out position? Do you have any other recommendations for carriers that offer this position?

Thanks!
    Diana
    DS Owen 3/13/06

Default RE: Carriers for baby facing out -- Babytrekker?

I believe the Baby Trekker has the dangling-from-the-crotch issue that makes it less than ideal for baby's spine and hip development.

Most mei tais can be used to carry baby facing out so long as you make sure to adjust it so that the carrier acts as a seat for the baby's bum instead of dangling.

The ERGO is not recommended for facing out use. In my experience, babies quickly get used to facing in and tend to like it just fine.

Wraps would also work for facing out carries.

Since your DS is 6 months old, you are probably ready for the hip carry - this allows baby to see out more thn the facing in carry. A pouch or ERGO would be great for this. I don't love mei tais for hip carry but many others do.

HTH,

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

PAfirsttimemom Guest

Thanks for your reply, Laurel.

I wonder if the problems brought up regarding carriers and spine and hip development are related to the amount of time baby spends in the carrier. I could see there being problems if he spends all day in it, but I'm talking about just needing one for an hour or two at a time, probably not even every day. Say for a trip to the grocery store.

I definitely want something that is quick and easy to put on. Wraps and mei tais seem a little complicated with all the tying. Are they?

Diana

Diana,

The dangling from the crotch issue has not been shown to cause any ill effects, which is to say that I don't believe anyone has actually studied it. But phsyical therapists and some doctors have opined that the positioning is not ideal. It seems likely that, similar to an exersaucer, a few minutes a day would not be especially harmful.

However, IMO, if you're going to spend that kind of money, why not get something that has better positioning for your DS and which you will feel comfortable using for long periods of time, should you ever want to.

IME, kids don't need to be facing out for very long and it's not a position that is very comfortable for you once DS gets a little bigger. The facing in position is more comfortable because baby is wrapped around you and leaning in on you and that spread the weight out over your body vs. just pulling on your shoulders when baby is facing out.

Wraps and mei tais probably don't fit the qualifications of "quick and easy to put on" although they are faster than you might think once you get the hang of them. If you are are just looking for quick easy on/off, an ERGO or a pouch would be awesome for that.

Best,

Laurel

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I got a Mei Tai when looking for an alternative to the Bjorn that both my boys loved. It was a lot of tying and DS seemed to be ok in it but didn't love it. I went ahead and got a Hotsling and started using it in a hip carry and it was/is fantastic for trips to the store.... at Disneyland when he just wants to be held instead of sitting in the stroller etc.! I highly recommend a pouch!

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

PAfirsttimemom Guest

Thanks for the replies! I have to say, those Hotslings just don't look that comfortable for carrying a big baby. Looks like they would pull so much on the one shoulder. But so many moms like them, so it may be worth a try!

It's true that some people don't find pouches (or any one-shouldered carrier) all that comfy because of the one-shoulder aspect. It certainly is less comfortable than a two shouldered carrier for longer carries. For me, the convenience of the pouch is worth a little sacrifice in comfort.

That being said, a good, snug-fitting pouch, is really pretty comfortable. Basically, it simply acts as a piece of material holding your child against you in lieu of your arms. So the larger child's weight hip carry is supported mostly by your hip, not by the carrier hanging off your shoulder. Does that make sense? A good pouch will also be able to be spread out across your back so that the weight is distributed across your back and not pulling on your shoulder. If the pouch hurts your shoulder in a short period of time, you would want to consider whether it is properly fitted. A too-large pouch is the most common error I see in people who don't like their pouches.

You might also want to try checking out thebabywearer.com's for sale or trade forums (you have to register but it's free) to buy a lower-cost pouch to try. It wouldn't have a return policy like a new carrier but you'd probably be able to resell on TBW.

Best of luck with your decision-making!
    Laurel

My DS loves the hip and back carry in the ergo cause he can see better.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)