Default KKAFP, Hotsling or Peanut Shell

We are expecting our first baby and plan on getting a pouch for the first few months and then the ergo. Deciding between the KKAFP, HS and PS. I am leaning toward to KKAFP because DH and I can probably share the medium, versus the HS and PS we couldn't share. I'm thinking the extra cost of the KKAFP will justify us sharing. Also, did many of your DH's wear a sling or pouch? Or did you do most of the carrying? Thanks!

tina-t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: KKAFP, Hotsling or Peanut Shell

Dh did not like using the sling or pouch. He felt uncomfortable using it and only wanted to use the Baby Bjorn. I love the pouch and sling though. I'm starting to get used to the mei tai too.

It sounds more economical to get the KKAFP if both you and your dh will wear your dc. One Hotsling costs anywhere from $45 to $80 and the PS costs anywhere from $45 to $65. There is a Hotsling sale on the Babycenter website though if both you and dh already know your sz. There are only 3 sizes available on the sale though.

HTH!
    Christina

Mom to 2 little ones

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would get a hotsling for you and a hotsling for your DH! Then you can each choose your own color and size and be comfortable! I highly recommend going over to the Babywearer website and joining there. There are ALWAYS hotslings for sale that are gently used for good prices!

Good luck

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

I'm a big fan of the KKAFP, especially for first time pouch-users. My DH wears a sling a lot but he wouldn't have bothered buying his own. I had one for DS and DH never wanted one. Then someone loaned us theirs that fit him and then he wanted his own. So getting the KKAFP might actually increase the chances of DH wearing the baby.

The KKAFP is also great for early on because you will lose weight and might have to size down on your HS or PS. Come next summer you will know more what works for you and can buy a summer weight option if you need one.

Just my two cents!

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

I have no experience with the KKAFP but would highly recommend the Hotslings. Both DH and I wore our daughter all the time from when she was an infant up to now though he loves the ERGO more now. He's gone through a few different slings but then again, he is very into babywearing our daughter :)

Have only used Hotslings...but loved using them when DD was really small. I found my DH did not wear the baby until she got a little older and then he used a mei tai or Ergo. I bought several hotslings used off thebabywearer.com. One thing I learned...if you buy used...size can vary a bit even with the same "number" hotsling. For example, I figured out that my hotsling size was a 2...I bought three different size 2 hotslings and all were just a little different size-wise. I think it had to do with whether the prevous owner washed it or air dried it versus machine drying it, etc. Good luck with your decision. Heather

Heather:

Mommy to DD (2005) and DS (2007)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have never had any luck with non-adjustable pouches. They are usually too big for me (despite closely following any sizing charts) and thus very uncomfortable. My adjustable pouches are easy to snap smaller or bigger as needed - as you lose weight post-baby, as baby grows, as you carry in new positions, etc.

We had a PS (microfleece) that I got when DD was about 8 weeks old - which was 8 weeks too late! I am so excited to use it from day one with our next baby. Anyway, my DD was already not interested in the cradle carry, so we went straight to tummy to tummy, but ended up buying a MeiTai a few months later. DH was not interested in wearing the PS but does wear the MT (though he turns it inside out so the embroidery doesn't show - lol!). I would get what you really want, because you will be the one wearing the baby most, esp if you are breastfeeding. The KKAFP seems perfect for winter babies though! GL deciding!

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a KKAFP that I used from when my younger DD was just a few days old. At almost 2 she can still ride comfortably in it. It was hands down my favorite carrier her first winter when she was so tiny. I tried a Hotsling but didn't think it was as comfortable. We also have an Ergo that we've been using since she was about 8-9 months old and it has worked out very well too. I've even carried my now 4 year old in it a few times and she loved it and now asks to be carried in it.

My DH did wear our older DD in the first sling we had, a Nojo. He now uses the Ergo occasionally. He didn't do any carrying with pouches but that's really due to the fact that we're very different sizes so we couldn't share and I never got one in his size.

HTH!
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No experience with the Hotsling or Peanut Shell, but my DH had his own KKAFP and used it w/ DS from probably 2 weeks of age on? He really liked it. DS was a winter baby so that helped.

DH's was very sporty looking IMO...royal blue w/ black trim. He never hesistated to carry DS in it at home or out and about :) Once he saw how well slings work, he was hooked. He also has no problem using a Maya ring sling, solarveil ring sling, or a Kozy mei tei out in public, but those came later after he "got" baby wearing ;)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010