Default "Borrowing" someone's baby?

So I've been bitten by the baby-wearing bug BIG TIME! (Wow, check out the unintentional alliteration in that sentence, lol.) I knew absolutely nothing about this topic until I stumbled onto this board, but you ladies have made me an addict! I'm to the point in my research where I'd like to order a few different types of carriers and try them out (I'm one of those people who hates to be unprepared, so I really want to find a carrier I like before this baby is born). Only problem is, I don't have a baby to practice with.

DH's cousin just had a little boy about two weeks ago. I'm wondering if it would be weird for me to ask if I could try out a few different carriers with him. I would of course be very careful and try them in her home, whenever it was convenient for her. This is her fourth child, so I think she'd be more relaxed about it than a first-time mom would. Having said that, we're not really close or anything. I mean, we see each other once or twice a month, I brought a baby gift to the hospital when her son was born, and I've asked her a few pregnancy-related questions, which she was really nice about answering. But we're not like best buddies or whatever.

I don't know - is this a really weird request? I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable or anything. I'd just like to get a head-start on finding a carrier or two that I really like.

What would you say if an in-law asked you for this favor? Would you be a little weirded-out? I really don't want to seem strange, lol! So what do you think?

TIA!
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

Default RE: "Borrowing" someone's baby?

I wouldn't mind but I'm all about babywearing! Though you may not want to practice on your cousin once you see the baby. They are so fragile at that age! Whenever I help my friends with their newborns I am always so nervous!

I would see if you have a NINO in your area. Check out nineinnineout.org for locations. La Leche League groups are also a great place to find babywearers. If you are planning to breastfeed I highly recommend attending meetings while pregnant. I have met some of my closest friends through NINO and LLL.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Hard to say whether it would make her uncomfortable - I myself wouldn't care! You might have better luck if you suggest bringing the carriers over for you all both to try.

You could also see whether you have a babywearing classes anywhere in your area. Many babywearing educators use a weighted, lifelike doll which is great for seeing what kind of carrier you might enjoy wearing. The Mamatoto website has a list of babywearing educators by state/region at www.wearyourbaby.com

The pp's referrals to LLL and NINO are also great resources.

Happy shopping!

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

hee hee. I used my cat. :) And a friend of mine who was expecting at the same time used a bag of flour. :) So, no, we wouldn't think you were weird at all, but consider the source!!

ETA: here's the link to the photo I posted with me and my cat:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search
    Jen

DD#1 is 7 years old
    DD#2 is 6 year old