Default What next after a baby bjourn

O.K. I'm totally a novice at babywearing, Jillian is a year old and I occasionally use the baby bjourn, but was told I can only use it to 25 pounds (is that correct?) I would like a carrier of some sort but don't want to put a ton of money into it b/c its not something I use *alot*. Any suggestions?
    tia

Heidi
    Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

Default RE: What next after a baby bjourn

I am not an expert at all, but on the advice of the ladies here, I tried a Ring Sling for my DS who weighs roughly 20 lbs. I love it! I have only used the hip carry so far, but it works really well for us. I made my sling using these instructions (http://crafts.sleepingbaby.net/sling.html) and because I got the fabric on clearance, the whole thing cost me under $10. The Maya Wrap also seems to be a popular choice and they are beautiful.

The Bjorn is meant for small babies and is recommended up to one year or the weight limit. I'm surprised it's still comfortable for you!

There are two very similar question if you read down this page, and lots of answers to them. Have you checked out those threads? if not, I recommend you do so.

For me personally, the KKAFP (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch) was a great transition. I wore DS in the hip carry after he was too big for the Bjorn.

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

I would recommend something like the ERGO or if you're not interested in investing a bit, the Sutemi Pack is very similar but easier on the pocketbook.

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Heidi,

I just sent you a PM.

I forgot to say though, Pittsburgh NINO also has a website (pittsburghnino.com), and a yahoo group (there's a link on our website).
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

We use a MeiTei with DD and I loooove it! I would recommend that you get a carrier with a two shouldered carry since thats what you use now (Bjorn). As these kids get heavier, it is nice to have the weight distributed vs. something like a pouch or sling that is one shouldered. As far as $$, check thebabywearer.com for sale or trade board. HTH!

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

Default Thank you ladies

Thank you ladies for all the great ideas!

Heidi
    Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

I second the ring sling, plus I think a wrap in a short-cross-carry could still be very useful, unless your dc is really big/heavy. Both are poppable, but with scc the weight is on both shoulders (just search for "short cross carry instructions" and you are sure to find several).

I actually use a longer than recommended wrap for scc, so that I also tie it around my waist, which additionally helps with weight distribution (I use a 4.2m wrap). Last week I carried my 23lb 2yr-old for a couple of hours in a short-cross carry, and it worked out great.

In case you haven't used a wrap, they are really not nearly as daunting as they seem, and this particular carry may be one of the easiest to do in any case.