Default Front-facing carrier for bigger infant

My daughter has loved the Baby Bjorn, but she's getting a little heavy for me to wear her comfortably in it. I have looked into the Mei Tais and Ergo carriers, but they don't seem to allow baby to be forward-facing. She loves to be able to look around and never accepted facing me in her carrier.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a carrier that will allow her a clear view and more evenly distribute her weight for me? Thanks in advance!

Default RE: Front-facing carrier for bigger infant

I have liked Kozy Mei Tai the best, but even that wasn't too comfortable. Some moms have used stretchy wraps, but I couldn't. I think most people will tell you that whatever carrier you put the baby in to face out the baby's spine and legs will not be in a good position. And the baby will stick out so far away from your body that it can't be too comfortable for you either (most comfy carries are where baby is close to mom's body). But babies love to face out early on, so we do it. Babies do grow out of wanting to face out, I think about the time they can move their heads well so they can see what they want even when they are carried to face mom.

Other option is to put the baby in a high back carry so she can see out over your shoulders. MTs again are easiest to use, but wraps, of course, are great too.

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, I kind of agree...any carrier where your DC is facing out means that it won't be as comfortable for you as facing in. It has to do with the way the child's weight is supported by your body versus kind of hanging.

I would recommend trying an Ergo or Mei Tai. My DD enjoyed facing out in a ring sling or pouch when she was younger, but when she got too heavy for that she was also happy to ride in our Ergo or Mei Tai, obviously facing in. (I did try her facing out in the Mei Tai once but found it not comfortable.) She is still able to look around very well just by turning her head a bit to either side. It is not like a little baby being squished up against you in a Bjorn. If you want to try an Ergo, myfavoritebabycarrier.com has a pretty long money-back trial period so you can give it a go and see if it works for you. That's where I got mine because I wanted to be sure it was comfortable before committing. Hope that helps!

You can carry baby facing out in both an ERGO and a MT. The www.kozycarrier.com website has pics and instructions of this being done in a mei tai and www.the-ergo-lady.com has a tips and tricks page that show people using the ERGO with baby facing forward.

I believe the baby trekker specfically approves this option, but it has a very small crotch area and is thought by many to be not very good for baby because baby is dangling by the crotch vs. being seated in the carrier.

Hth,
    Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

sarasprings Guest

I think the best alternative (for us because we're in that situation) is to get a mei tai and use a high back carry or a good hip carrier. With my ellaroo MT, I tie it just under my boobs and my son is high enough to look over my shoulder now. For hip carries, we have an old hip hammock which works well, but for longer carries, I'm waiting for Holly at meitaicarrier.com to make one with a really padded waist (sort of like ergos). Her carriers have a wrap shoulder strap which is more comfy than a hip hammock.

bethwl Guest

There are mei tais that you can use forward-facing, and IMO, they will be more comfortable than a Baby Bjorn. But as others have said, an outward-facing carry will never feel as comfortable for you as long as an inward-facing one. When the child is facing your body, you are supporting more of their weight, whereas with an outward-facing carry, the child's weight is pulling off your body more. However, I know some kids REALLY want to face out, so I would try a mei tai meant to do that (their legs will still be spread apart more than in a Bjorn, which should help with both their comfort and yours) and also give back carries a chance. If you wear the child up high enough to see over your shoulder, sometimes this is ok with them. Good luck!