newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Two STUPID questions re: wearing slings / pouches

Okay, I know I sound dumb, BUT...
    When you wear your baby in a sling or pouch, what do you do with them when you need to go to the bathroom??
    I am planning to get one, but say I am out in public & need to pee. Do I need to remove the baby / sling??
    Also, what kind of diaper bag can you carry while wearing one? Backapck? Messenger? Crossbody??
    Thanks!!
    :-)

Default RE: Two STUPID questions re: wearing slings / pouches

If I'm wearing my DS, I usually just go to the bathroom while wearing him. It takes a little maneuvering depending on which carrier I have one to get my pants up and down, but it works.

All types of diaper bags have worked for me. The straps on the same shoulder that I am wearing the pouch or ring sling on does slip at times but not too bad. I also use a messenger with an adjustable strap which works great across my body and hangs below the carrier.

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yep, like she said :)

I usually go to the bathroom wearing DD. Actually, it's a lot easier doing that then having a kid touching everything in the stall. Ick.

If you're just wearing a sling or pouch (as opposed to say a wrap or mei tai), I would just use a regular purse/diaper bag. When I have DD in a front carry in a mei tai or wrap, then I use a backpack-like bag.

A lot of times (and I guess I'm weird), I don't bring a purse/diaper bag at all. We never really use anything in there anyway. (but again, I'm weird).
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

I also used to go to the bathroom wearing dd. It's actually quite easy while they are small.

I got a diaper bag that can be worn both messenger style and as a backpack. I never used it messenger style so finally I took off the strap and haven't used it in, like, a year. I prefer not having the bag dangle on one side. In that case of a backpack you do need to think about whether you want things like your wallet and digital camera in the diaper bag... I have had nothing happen to me yet (I live in Chicago, fwiw).

Agreeing with the PP - I've gone to the bathroom with DD in the pouch and MeiTai (both front and back carries). We use a SkipHop Dash diaper bag but I rarely use it messenger style, always just thrown over one shoulder.

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

I acutally find it to be one of the benefits of babywearing that I don't have to worry about what to do when I need to go - I always left my babies in the sling. Because slings are worn high and close to you (the same way you would carry your child), they don't need to be taken off to do your biz.

Of course, you could always get this, LOL
    http://www.babygadget.net/2006/08/the_babykeeper.php

As for diaper bags, I've always just carried a regular one. It gets in the way a little but is workable. If you're looking for the perfect one, this varies depending on position you're wearing baby in. ASsuming you are expecting a newborn, you might consider a back pack, they are very easy to use when carrying baby on your front. Not so much once you start carrying the little one on your back, though!

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

>Of course, you could always get this, LOL
    >http://www.babygadget.net/2006/08/the_babykeeper.php

What won't people think of next... LOL

Your questions are not stupid :p

I just go with my daughter in my sling. Whether it's front carry or back. Mostly now that she's older, it's easier to switch her to the back and do my duty. Oh and I never sit on toilet seats ;)

As far as bags go, I've never had problems with my sling tote. Love it. And the PPB Boxy Backpack of course. Nice and versatile.