niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Christmas shopping help....

SIL is pregnant and for christmas MIL suggested we get them some baby-related items. DH and I agree on the miracle blanket and happiest baby on the block. DH wants to get them a babycarrier too. But I have a hotsling that I know will fit SIL as she used mine to carry DS once. I was going to give that to her to use anyway. I know the hotsling isn't adjustable, so her DH won't be able to use it, which annoyed my DH about ours, so he doesn't want to give that to them and wants something they can both use. But there is such a difference btw size of our DH's and us. I could get a maya wrap, but I really think she'll prefer a pouch w/o the extra fabric - pre-pregnancy, she's barely 100lbs and very petite. I know she liked the hotsling when she used it.

Oh, I also have a mei tai I will be lending if they want to try it. And for the baby shower, we're giving them a kelty backpack carrier as her DH is an avid hiker.

So, I'm looking for something else to give with the miracle blanket and book OR, is my DH right and I should get an adjustable carrier + give them my hotsling anyways.......any suggestions.

Nicci

Default RE: Christmas shopping help....

I think you are right. Give her your carriers to try out first. Babies react to carriers differently, so it's nice to try them out first. Of course, you could get her a stretchy wrap. It will fit both her and her dh and I have not heard of a newborn who didn't like it.

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would let SIL try some things first, and then help her decide (I agree that pouches are very nice, but the lack of adjustability is an issue). I'm pretty petite, and I love my Maya RS (also, I have a medium, because I like the longer tail. I've been known to tuck my tail in, too, so that it looks like a pouch with a ring at the shoulder).

I second a stretchy wrap like a Moby. At ~$30, you can't really go wrong, and they're great for little babes (especially during the winter). Once the baby outgrows the moby, you SIL will have a better idea what she and the baby like, and can go from there.
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

What about a KKAFP? Many couples can both fit into a Medium.

Or you could just get something for her DH since you are giving her the hotsling. My DH prefers having a carrier of his own cause he hates adjusting.

I wouldn't personally give a wrap unless you KNOW they would use it. Wraps are awesome but a lot of people find them intimidating or too much work and I know very few men who would use one. It's just a bummer to spend your $$ on a carrier that sits in the closet.

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

I like the idea of a Moby..