Jennymarie Guest

Default Best hip carrier?

I have 3 month old and a 2 year old. We own a Maya Wrap, a Baby Bjorn and two frame backpacks. I'm looking for a good hip carrier that will last till at least a year of age. My kids are tall. My first one reached the 26" height limit on his carseat at 4 months, and my second is on course to do the same. I really need something for easy in/out for trips to the grocery store from 3-8 months (till he can sit easily in the cart).

Loved the Maya when he was a newborn, not so crazy about it anymore. When I have to chase my 2 year old I just don't feel like the baby is secure enough in the kangaroo carry for me to move and bend. Maybe he's too little for a good hip carry in the Maya at this point, but I just feel like the fabric is so wide, if I try the hip carry it seems like the lower ring just digs into the underside of his knees.

I like the security of the Baby Bjorn, and my baby likes to face outward. But having enjoyed the more ergonomic design of the Maya wrap, I've come to really hate the strain that the Baby Bjorn puts on my upper back.

I looked into the Ergo carriers, but it seems like a lot of people don't like them for the hip carry. I saw someone use an Ergo on the back, and I was just totally freaked out watching her get the baby into position. So I'm not thrilled about every doing a back carry (we already have two frame style baby backpacks anyway).

So what's the best option in hip carriers these days?

AddiesMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Best hip carrier?

I just got one from Walking Rock Farm to use in Disney later this month. My friend who is petite used hers all over Spain with her 13 mo old DD (and she must be close to 100 percentile for height and weight) and said it was very comfortable. We both got the Metro style.

I have a Baby Bjorn and hated the strain on my back, when I tried on this I felt none of it. Walking rock will refund you if it is not used and you don't like it or it doesn't fit.

http://www.walkingrockfarm.com/hip.php
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Best hip carrier?

What about a pouch (like a hotsling, et all)? Pouches are made for hip carries, IMO (although I've used one a lot when DD was a newborn in a cradle hold, and as a kangaroo as well). I think that for your needs (don't want anything for back carries, etc), a pouch would be great. If you're worried about the lower rail on the back of herw knees, you can get one with a lightly padded rail (the padding is VERY light, not really noticable at all) from Hotsling.

I think pouches are great (once you go through the rigamorole to get a size)
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!