Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Desperately seeking carrier help!

OK, I know there is a carrier forum, and I'm fine with my post being moved there. BUT, I desperately, urgently need help and I don't know how much traffic that forum gets.

DD#2 is nearly 5w. She's over 11 lbs now (was born 8lbs 6oz), gaining over 50g/day according to my LC. I'm freakin' exhausted. She is not sleeping at night. My LC thinks she might have tummy upset because she's eating too much, too quickly. She also thinks this baby needs to be held more than my first. I'm too tired to carry her all day, plus I'm recovering from a c/s and that's not going too well. Not to mention I have DD#1 to content with. I'm EBFg in a more upright position to help with the tummy upset and she prefers to be carried upright. I might try some gas drops, but not sure about that.

I have a Hotsling I tried (DD#1 hated it, can't figure it out for #2). That didn't work. Not sure if its user error or just the wrong size. I tried my Bjorn and can't stand the pain for more than 5min. DH can carry #2 in the Bjorn for a while and she seems to like that, but I can't take the pain on my upper spine. Plus she screams when I put her in there.

I read the pinned thread at the carrier forum and my head is spinning. I just need something to help me carry this kiddo before I lose my mind!

The lady at this online store was VERY helpful: http://www.babywearboutique.com/en/index.html

I will have trouble finding much of anything IRL locally and may end up having to wait for one to be shipped. If I buy off the 'net I would prefer to buy one from Steph at the above site as she was so helpful.

TIA
    Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Desperately seeking carrier help!

I think a mei tei might work. It would work for being upright for feedings, and dividing your DD's weight across both of your shoulders should make it easier to carry her more while you recover from your c/s.

I didn't get my Kozy (mei tei) with DS until he was over a year old. (before that I was using a pouch and a Maya ring sling mostly) I wasn't sure I'd like a mei tei with a newborn, but it is my fav sling to use w/ DD because it frees up both my hands and distributes her weight more evenly.

Kozy and Babyhawk are both pretty well known mei teis. I'm out of the babywearing loop since I haven't bought anything new in recent months, but that's my recommendation.

My DD is 2.5 months old and she's been able to nurse upright in the Kozy for at least a month now I'd say.

Not sure if that helps?

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I'm using a ring sling (TaylorMade) with DS who is 3 weeks old. I really like the fact that it's adjustable and I can get him in there snug and get the top rail to support his wobbly head. He likes to be in facing me upright, especially when he's having tummy pain. I've heard really good reviews of the Zolowear if you want to buy from the place you mentioned.

I hope you find something that works! Hang in there, the sleep will get better!
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

mei tai.

try www.colbaltcarriers.com

i think babyhawks are great.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I loved the KKAFP when DS2 was a newborn. It's along the lines of the Hotsling but more adjustable, plus nice and stretchy.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i had the best luck with a peanut shell pouch. the microfleece are the most forgiving/easiest learning curve. my DS wasn't big on the traditional mostly horrizontal newborn position used with most slings/pouches. he much preferred to be upright, so in those early days, he was usually sitting upright facing me in it with his legs folded kinda indian style in front of me - i think they call it a reverse kangaroo carry?? i tried a hotsling briefly and i never seemed to be able to get it to fit me as well as the peanut shell. i'm short in the trunk, and was a size 14/16 on top with 36DD post partum and wore a size M in the fleece peanut shell. i also eventually ended up with a stretch cotton one as well, but like i said, the micro fleece are the easiest to learn to use and most comfortable, imo. he still fits in it at over 23lbs.

her website is www.goo-ga.com

hth, good luck, lori.
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

If you're having a hard time with the Hotsling, it might help to know what it is that you're having troubles with to try and fix. We've loved our Hotslings for DD when she was first born. Another great option for NB's are the Moby Wraps.

I agree that MT's like Kozy, BH & EllaRoo are great. But I get un-easy when using a MT for a newborn-- that's just me though.

Did the retailer you listed above give you recommendations? If not, contact her again as you've mentioned you would like to purchase a carrier from her :)

Good luck!

Samantha

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

re: the hotsling. by wrong size, do you think it's too big or too small? If the baby is in a cradle position (really, in any position, but it's the easiest to tell in the cradle), her bum she be somewhere between your belly button and your 'non-natural waist' (where your pants tend to fall, or a little below). Here's the sizing info from hotslings, with the picture at the bottom should help: http://www.hotslings.com/s.nl/it.I/id.11/.f

Have you tried a tummy-to-tummy hold with DD? I think that would be the best for keeping her upright, and if you do the shoulder flip (http://www.hotslings.com/s.nl/it.I/id.10/.f), you should get a better fit. I've even been known to do the shoulder flip twice to get it super snug. Also, if you feel like the hotsling might be a little too big, the shoulder flip would help.

If you totally want to junk the hotsling (well, don't junk it, you can resell it ;)), I think a mei tai would be your best option. It'll keep DC upright, be easier on your back, and you will get a lot more wear out of it than in a bjorn (which have a WAY lower wight threshold). Also, if you want, you can always use the mei tai on your back when she's older. The babyhawk from Babywear Boutique is great.

I love wraps, and use them almost exclusively, but they have a pretty high learning curve, and I don't think you need any added stress at the moment. If you have any questions about whatever you decide to get, just ask (or head on over to thebabywearer.com)
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

hipmaman is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Remind me, are you in Oakville? There is this place/lady in Toronto that would help with wearing sling or trying other kind of slings/carriers that she carries http://www.pookababy.com
    Tam
    Certified Canadian Child Restraint Safety Technician and Instructor

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Too small, I think. Maybe its just the way they fit, but I find it super hard to get her in/out. I'm sure its operator error. When I purchased it (with DD#1, who hated it), I called the owner of Hotslings and she helped "fit" me, so its probably the right size, I just can't figure it out.

I just listed it for sale on my local Craigslist. Of course, by the time it sells, I'll probably figure it out and love it. LOL!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast