Default Best carrier for hiking?

We've now owned a whole bunch of carriers. I've had a Bjorn, Moby Wrap, a Mei Tai...We've borrowed an Ergo too.

Issues:

1. My husband has a BAD back.
    2. I'm REALLY short - only 4'9".

We just bought a Kelty Pathfinder and it's not working for us. My husband's back hurts, and it just doesn't fit me correctly. The back support ends up on my tush.

Any other suggestions for day hikes?

Also, our son is about 20 pounds at the moment.

Thanks!

Default RE: Best carrier for hiking?

We just went hiking with dd in the ergo on the back. My DH wore her and she is about 18 lbs. His back is sensitive and it didn't bother him to carry her on his back, although it does bother him to carry on her his front. If the kelty and ergo don't work... I'm not sure what wouldn't hurt his back because those carrier both put weight on the hips instead of the shoulders.

HTH

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You might want to try a Beco. It's another soft structure carrier like the Ergo, but it does work for very petite people, or people with short torsos. My cousin who is quite short, loves it. She carries her 27lb toddler in it.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Yep, Becos are good, as are Angelpack LXs.

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Owner, Carry Me Away

What didn't work about the ERGO for you? There are plenty of other options (SSCs or woven wraps are probably best for hiking) but it'd be helpful to know what didn't work.

Laurel

Owner, Carry Me Away

I agree with Laurel. What about the ERGO didn't work for you?

We've been using the ERGO consistenly for hikes and have not had a single problem. Though I can't say the same about the Kelty we had..

I loved the Ergo, but my husband thought it was "just another carrier that I wouldn't use enough."

We tried one again this week and he liked it a lot more, so hopefully that's what we'll get.

We got the Kelty because we were talking about serious hiking...he thought it was a serious pack!

Well, the ERGO is a great carrier for hiking and many companies offer free shipping on it as well as good return policies. So it's worth trying since you can return it if needed.

:)

Laurel

Owner, Carry Me Away

I'm 5'2 and love my ergo and hike with it too. I love it!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Not trying to highjack but I had the same problem with the Ergo - it wasn't really my height that seemed to be the problem but maybe my size? I had all the straps the very smallest they could go and it still seemed as if I needed them to go smaller. The waist strap overlapped by a ton. It made me feel as if DD wasn't secure enough (up high on her back).

Really hard to explain why it doesn't seem to work for me... I wish it did, especially since we are going on a cabin trip in the Blue Ridge mountains in a few weeks...

Maryann
    Mommy to Ean & Mia!