Default "Fluffy" Moms... can Ergo or Beco work?

I am expecting #2 in January. With having a toddler, I will *definitely* need a good carrier that won't kill my back.

I have heard great things about both Ergo and Beco. I am leaning towards the Beco right now.

My question is... I never lost much baby weight from my son. And, now, with pregnancy #2... I know I will have some "extra" left on me.

Both of these carriers come with extender straps for the waist. Are there any "fluffy" Moms who use these carriers successfully?

Also, any rec's of Ergo vs. Beco?

Thank you!!!
    Stephanie

Default RE: "Fluffy" Moms... can Ergo or Beco work?

Absolutely. I know for certain that there are many "fluffy" moms and dads who use ERGO successfully. Not sure about the Beco, but you might find more info on www.thebabywearer.com - do a search for fluffy and Beco and you'll probably get a few hits!

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Owner, Carry Me Away

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm fluffy & hated the ergo. My also fluffy friend thinks its the breast size that most impacts ergo comfort. the straps dig into the armpits/breasts if you're large busted.

I loved the APLX & Toddler patapum and ended up getting those (shh, dont tell dh I got both!!)
    :)

jbrandy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'm a fluffy mom and I love my Ergo with the extender. I don't have any problems -- all the straps are adjustable. I finally got the back strap where it is really comfortable. I carry my 3 1/2 month old and I could where him in it all day long -- it's that comfortable! Go for it -- many places have a 30-90 day return policy.

Beth

Thanks for the input, Beth!

What did you need to do with the back straps to make it more comfortable? I have heard that others don't have those straps right, either.

I think I'll wait and order one when my baby is born so I can try it out with my post-baby belly.

Thanks!

>I'm a fluffy mom and I love my Ergo with the extender. I
    >don't have any problems -- all the straps are adjustable. I
    >finally got the back strap where it is really comfortable. I
    >carry my 3 1/2 month old and I could where him in it all day
    >long -- it's that comfortable! Go for it -- many places have
    >a 30-90 day return policy.
    >
    >Beth

Sorry it took me so long to respond I didn't realize there was another post. I made it more comfortable by moving the back strap down a bit more so that it was closer to my lower back then to my neck. I hope this helps. I do love my ERGO!!

Beth

Well -- I just got my first Beco BWD and LOVE IT. I would have to say that it is nicer than my ergo. I do love my ergo but I think the Beco is going to be the one I reach for more often. I don't even need a waist extender with my Beco. I also like that you adjust the shoulder straps in the front instead of under your arm/back. Also because the material comes up higher when I bend over I don't feel like DS is going to fall out like I do with my ERgo. The Beco is also much less bulky. Being someone who is bulky enough without a carrier this is a major plus for me. I also love the material bag that came with my Beco. So...after posting that I love my Ergo I would say I think I love my Beco more! It just may come down to $ for you.

I hope this helps.

PS -- I ordered my Beco BWD from the MOTHERING TAO website on Sat. and had it in my mailbox today -- even with yesterday being a holiday!

Beth B