suomi is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default Need carrier recommendation for mom with back problems

Hi everyone,

I currently own a Bjorn, but need something new for baby #2. I have lower back and SI problems. I also was unable to use the Maya wrap, it was too complicated for me. I need a carrier that is easy to use, that is easy to take on and off, easy to nurse in, and very comfortable even for moms with back problems. Preferably I could wear it on the front with baby facing towards me or out, and also on my back and hip.

I have heard a lot about the Ergo, but it doesn't look like baby can be on the front facing out, and lots of people say it's tricky to nurse in. I am not sure how easy the Beco is to nurse in, and also don't know if the baby can face out.

I have done lots of web research and am very confused, I welcome all your advice!

Thanks,

Marcy

Default RE: Need carrier recommendation for mom with back problems

Well, the perfect carrier for you would be a wrap like the Moby wrap or a Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Stretch. They are very comfortable and great for breastfeeding a newborn. Only trouble is, the long lengths of material are intimidating for lots of people. If you don't mind spending a bit of time learning, a wrap could be the carrier for you. A stretchy wrap like the GM BBS or the Moby is really quite easy once you've tied it on!

The Maya wrap is actually a ring sling, in case you're confused. Many people find ring slings hard to use initially.

Becos and other Soft Structured Carriers (like the Beco) are great carriers, but I have never seen one that I thought was good for bfing a newborn - they say you can, but I just don't see the support there. Otherwise, though, they are fabulous for people with back issues.

A pouch might be a good option for bfing, it's relatively easy to do and easy on/off. But the one-shouldered aspect might not be good for you.

Have I helped, or just confused things? LMK.

The DVD that comes with Ergo shows how to BF in it. That being said...I have never been able to successfully do it. I am very short-waisted and to get DD low enough to nurse made the thing falling off my behind. I got it when she was 4 months old and there was no way it was happening for me.

So...while they say (and prove) it is possible...it would definitely take some practice.

sarasprings Guest

I would agree about a Moby. I think they are easy to use than a traditional wrap. Your baby could face in or out with its legs tucked in (what is your DC's age, btw?).

For SSC's, I've never had an ergo and would never buy one based on some of the business practices I've been reading about, but I do have a Beco and it can be easy to feed a baby in because it's easy to loosen up one side. As someone else said, though, it depends on your height and your baby's.

Babies can potentially face out in a beco with their legs tucked in, but babies legs just aren't really made to be out when worn facing out. I have a separate hip carrier for that because it seems so much more comfortable. I know it's more money to have a second, but now that my baby is big, I really need it. When he was small I used a Kangaroo Karrier fleece pouch for everything -- facine in, out, and hip and I use a different pouch for hip carry now for short trips, but at 1 1/2, I want to be able to take walks where he's in and I can talk, and then walking around and back in...

There's a great new hip carrier on the market (I bought one and got it this week) called scootababy. It's like a beco (or ergo) for your hip -- nice padded waist to take some of the weight off.

Good luck!