Default Is it easy to breastfeed with the hotsling?

I'm almost 100% convinced I want a hotsling and not a ring sling. Just wondering how easy it is to breastfeed with the baby in the hotsling and does the sling conceal my breast? TIA.

Default RE: Is it easy to breastfeed with the hotsling?

When DD was a few wks old & sat still it was easy. Now at 4 mo I can't she wiggles too much. I just hold her while out & use a Hooter Hider!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I could never get the hang of the hotsling (nursing in it, I mean). But I use the maya lightly padded ring sling and it works great! I also have a hooter hider but don't need it when I'm using the maya ring sling. I wear a size small and the tail is very short- doesn't hit my thigh even. I can also tuck it under so it is streamlined like a pouch if that's what you're worried about. Then when I'm nursing I just loosen it so I can lay baby down (from hip carry position) and use the tail for extra coverage (but I have found that when he's laying down in the sling- feet out, I'm holding him because I'm sitting when I nurse him anyhow- and just his top half is still in the sling, there is plenty of extra sling fabric to pull up and cover the exposed skin/breast. I'm so happy with it! Wish I had gotten one for DD when she was little!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

I never had any problems nursing in my hotsling. It doesn't have as much coverage as a ring sling, but I could never really get the hang of ring slings, and felt I was always have to adjust, so my hotsling worked out better for me.

I never found it difficult to nurse in a pouch but it is a lot more revealing. It's definitely the last carrier I reach for when I want to nurse DD.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Thank you. Do you suggest I use a ring sling to nurse? I'm just worried that I might not feel as secure with a ring sling as I would with a pouch. I don't live by any stores that carry pouches or ring slings so I can't try any before buying. DS will be 3 y.o. when the new baby arrives so I just know I will need a sling/carrier of some sort.

I think every mama needs a baby carrier :)

A ring sling is actually likely to feel more secure than a pouch, since you can tighten it as needed. Pouches are fitted and even the adjustable ones usually can't be adjusted when holding the baby.

That being said, both can work for you! And many mamas find that they like to have more than one carrier for different situations. So if you get a ring sling, for example, you may later find that you'd like to have a two-shouldered carrier for when your baby is heavier. Or you might want a pouch because it can fold up tiny in your diaper bag, or you prefer the sleek look for when you are out of the house.

Are there babywearing groups or educators near you? Trying on is the best way to decide, of course.

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Owner, Carry Me Away

Unfortunately, we currently live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest city is a good hour away. I have a Bjorn but didn't use it much for DS when he was young. What you said about the ring sling makes sense. I just need to try it out. I'll keep on looking... Thank you.