cinrein Guest

Default When do you stop carrying a back-up outfit in the diaper bag?

Not sure where to post this question.

In the early days and complete extra outift in the diaper bag was a must. I just realized that we haven't had a diaper fiasco that involved an outfit change in a long time. Have I just been lucky, or do you think it's safe to get rid of the extra onsie, pants and socks and move to a smaller diaper bag?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Default RE: When do you stop carrying a back-up outfit in the diaper bag?

Well....I want to say never but, lol, you will stop eventually. If it is quick trips, and you keep a spare outfit in the car you would probably be okay. Although the blowout stage is gone, you'll still have food, water exploration in mall fountains, potty training, etc to look forward too. ;-)

For DS (2/02) I still carry one since he can get food in spots really far from his mouth, has been known to still have an occasional blow out, likes to play in water, etc. For DD (4/99) I keep a change in the car, and if we are out for a long time, in the bag since kids are distracted easily and don't often remember to "go potty".

For in the diaper bag currently I keep the lightest weight weather appropriate outfit that would fit either child. It is usually white athletic socks, dark stretch pants (which when too big on a little boy just look like sweats)or shorts in the summer and big t-shirt (long or short sleeves, they already have coats in cold weather). I also keep undies for dd and a onesie for ds. I try to keep it in a plastic gracoery bag, so I have a place to put the icky outfit even if it does not fit in the diaper bag. ;-)

HTH
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I keep a spare outfit in the car (hopefully remembering to change it when the seasons change, LOL :) ) but I haven't carried an outfit in the diaper bag since she was probably around 6 months old and was out of the newborn explosive poop phase.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

toomanystrollers Guest

18! LOL :)

My 5 yo had an accident not to long ago at the playground, so I was very thankful for the spare clothes I keep stashed in the car.

I'm gonna be a pest too and say when their grownups lol }(

Ugh, seriously..this past summer my 4.5yo threw up all over herself and the car, just last week it was my 2.5yo!

Plus as said wait till the PT comes into effect...really keep extra clothes and paper towels/wipes in the car at all times!!

Sorry it's just been a year of sick while we're out ...lol :D

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ds is 2 and I still carry an extra outfit...usually something small that won't take up a lot of room like a shirt and wiggle pants. Just in case of emergencies (like on Friday when Dh dressed Ds for the day and forgot to put on a diaper cover over a cloth diaper).

Ok...I thought that around 6 months or so would be a good time.

Fast forward to Father's Day...we went to the mall and wound up staying for dinner...we went to the ice cream shop where I mentioned to DH how smelly it was in the shop...we walk outside and I sniff DS...it is him...I go to family bathroom at the mall...well, guess who had an explosive poop ALL over his clothes, ALL over the stroller, ALL OVER!! We had to change him and clean up the whole mess...but WAIT! I had NO extra outfit! And the irony was that the mall had closed 1 hour before and I really wanted to buy him an outfit at the Gap and didn't...DS was almost 1 yr at this time...DH had to go to the car and luckily I had my KK fleece pouch with me...DS left the mall in a diaper and sitting comfie in the pouch...That day was such a disaster and I started carrying an extra outfit around since!!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm actually pretty paranoid, I also have a back-up diaper bag in my car (except when I'm borrowing Dh's car!) with another change of clothes and extra diapers, bags, small blanket, socks, etc. etc.

I used to carry entire Earthquake survival kits in my car until I had to make room for a stroller...now I just pray!