Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    cvharris Guest

Default Another Ella Bag Review...and comparison to ISM

My Ella Bag arrived today. I ordered the Lily size, in kiwi sky pink stripe with a dark denim bottom (the dark denim is very durable and very dark - almost black). I added extra interfacing, pockets and a key loop.

I've attached pictures of my Ella bag next to my regular sized ISM bag. The lighting is not good in the pictures, but you get the idea.

In regards to comparing the two, I pretty much agree with Brianna on everything she said. I got the extra interfacing on my bag, but it's still not nearly as sturdy as my ISM on the outside, nor on the inside in regards to the pockets.

Don't know if this will hold up to everyday use, but I think it's cute and perfect for summer!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

blnony Guest

Default RE: Another Ella Bag Review...and comparison to ISM

I LOVE that fabric.
    Thats one thing I really liked; the fabric is gorgeous on the bag and the craftsmanship is great.
    After using my bag today, I was impressed with it. I think it does much better in IRL than I had thought it would.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My bags aren't here yet (due to ship on Friday) but I just wanted to mention that all the comparisons to ISM are fine if you have an ISM and want a comparison point, but keep in mind that they are MUCH less expensive! We're getting these bags for $30, less than half of what an ISM costs. I wouldn't expect the Ellas to be quite as good as a much more expensive bag, and I hope that everyone takes that into consideration when deciding whether to order from Aimee (at Ella). I'd hate for her business to suffer based on these comparisons after she's offered us such a great deal - unless she truly produces a crappy product (which I haven't heard from anyone).

JMHO!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

blnony Guest

Lori-

I understand your point; however, I wanted to give everyone here my honest opinion of the bag. Most comments and questions have been in comparing the ISM and Ella previously. Many posters have been trying to decide which bag they want to purchase between these two. I think an honest assessment of that was given in my posts. I never intended to sway anyone's choice to one bag or the other.

I agree that it is a much lesser expensive bag and that is why in my orginal review thread I mentioned that "I like the bag, and for the price, I think its worth it" and "But for just a second bag, its not bad at all. I don't want to steer anyone one way or the other."

I think it was very generous of Aimee to offer our group the discount and for Debbi to arrange everything; but I am not going to allow that to override my opinion of the bag and the honest opinon I offered here.

I totally agree. I don't have either bag, but when you are paying just a little more than 1/3 of the price of the ISM bag, it is going to be a bit different. I think they look so pretty and are a very reasonable price for a custom-made product, and I actually prefer a lighter weight bag. At that price, I could afford to have a couple in different prints or sizes and alternate them depending on the situation or season. Both Ella and ISM look like absolutely lovely bags to own and use, and I will be hoping to get in on the next Ella deal.:)

Edited to add that I appreciate the honest review of the bag, too! I like both Ella and ISM bags and enjoy reading straightforward assessments of both. :)

Rory

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Brianna, I know that's what you intended in your review (Carolee's too) but I'm not sure that's how people have taken it, reading the responses. I agree that an honest review is invaluable, but also think that a review comparing it to a much more expensive bag will never do it justice. I mean, you wouldn't do a review of a Ford Taurus by comparing it to a Lexus (similar price comparison to Ella and ISM) because the Lexus will almost always "win" - when in reality the Taurus offers many strengths when reviewed on its own.

Hopefully people will continue to post reviews as they receive their bags so that we can get different perspectives - not all of us have seen an ISM bag in person.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

AdoptChina Guest

Default helped me decide

Thanks for the reviews! They have helped me decide to order the ISM diaper bag, and for the Ella Im ordering a summer purse for me (actually I may order 2). I figure I want the more durable one for my diaper bag (which is used non-stop). I love the Ella fabrics and for the price, I can order 2 to use for purses since they dont get abused as much.

cvharris Guest

Sorry if the comparison offended some. These are the only two diaper bag totes I have, and instead of describing them on the own, for me it's easier to do a basic compare and show pictures. I agree that a thorough valid comparison should mention price, as well as the ability with Ella to customize and choose from some really cute fabrics. I didn't have the time when posting before to talk thoroughly about the bag. :) Hopefully others who get their bags (and don't have the ISM) can do a better job at not being biased when giving their review and describing it. I hope I don't sound ungrateful for being able to take part in this deal, and I really thank Debbi for arranging it!

I did have a minor problem with my bag. I wasn't going to mention it here, but guess I will. The box it was mailed in wasn't big enough for it to be placed in without bending the bag. Well, unfortunately it being bent caused it to have a permanent dent and some wrinkles in the outer fabric around the side of the bag. I called and she asked me to try a hot iron on it, which I did, but it didn't help fix it. It really is a minor problem and I think to make something more of it would be too much for me to ask of Aimee. I can live with it. It really is a gorgeous bag and I think it as worth the price paid.

*Edited to add that Aimee was really responsive to me when I called her about it and ultimately it was my decision to tell her not to worry about it - I think she has excellent customer service! She even sent me a follow up e-mail.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

heidi_timms Guest

Default RE: helped me decide

Does anyone have an Ella backpack coming soon? I am on the fence on whether to pick the regular Ella shoulder bag or backpack and would love to see photos!!!

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey Ashlin
    4/27/03

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default My ella backpack shipped today!

Heidi:

I'll post pics as soon as I get it! I can't wait to see it....I was the one that was able to get the backpack in the Burberry Nova Check w/ black twill bottom, red piping and Khaki (vinyl) interior. I'll post inside/outside pics ASAP!

I expect to have it by Friday!

Laura
    mom to William

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast