Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Another Ella Bag Review...and comparison to ISM

Gorgeous bag Carolee!! What a beautiful fabric--and such a fun spring/summer bag! Keep the pix coming--can't wait to see Laura's! :)

cvharris Guest

Default A BETTER REVIEW...WHAT I WOULD GET ON MY NEXT BAG

Okay, Ben is asleep now and I'm feeling like I should write a better, more in-depth review. :) Aimee asked for feedback already. I've had a chance to play around with it more, and here's my feedback on it and what I would ask for if I get another bag (and I am thinking about a smaller Ink Spot bag):

Size: For a regular everyday diaper bag, I think the Elaine would have been sufficient in size. The Lily is a very generous sized bag.

Closure: I got the magnetic snap. It works really well and is a high quality silver colored snap. I do think that this type of closure greatly limits space and affects the shape of the bag, though. I think I'd want a tie type closure, not a ribbon, but ties made of the exterior fabric, maybe similar to how the key loop is made. Or maybe ask them to make a hook type closure similar to the hardware they use for the paci loop.

Exterior: I'm really, really happy with the looks of the exterior of the bag. I love the fabric - I think the dark denim is a great choice for the bottom of the bag. It is really durable and will hide any kind of dirt well, and I'd be fine putting this bag on a floor in a restaurant and not worry about dirt. I have a custom band and it is sewn on nicely and looks great. I got the extra interfacing. Next time I might go with extra, extra interfacing (I think you can pay for as much interfacing as you want).

Straps: I went with longer straps and the bag hangs nicely. I asked for a snap on the straps to keep them together (no extra charge), and it works well. The straps are long enough that I can still keep them snapped on top and yet open the bag wide. The straps are narrow in width (1" wide) and I'd ask for them to be a little wider.

Interior: I got the additional pockets (4) that aren't elasticized and I would get them all elasticized. The interior (including pockets) is pretty thin. I'd probably make a thicker fabric choice for the interior. To make the pockets more substantial and improve visibility, I'd ask about maybe adding my exterior fabric to the outside of the pockets. The interior is not attached to the bottom of the bag in any way, it is only attached to the top of the bag (I can grab the interior and pull it out of the bag), and I'd like it to be attached more throughout. I'd like the bottom of the bag to be sturdier, not just the fabrics, but maybe have something added to the bottom. The key loop is adorable, I'd probably get the paci loop next time. The pen pocket isn't a full pocket like the other six but is actually a little ribbon loop where you can stick a pen.

So, that's it. I think the exterior is wonderful, and the interior could be toughened up a bit. Overall, the craftsmanship is very good.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

liya Guest

Default RE: A BETTER REVIEW...WHAT I WOULD GET ON MY NEXT BAG

awsome points...thank you carolee.... i think you and i like almost the same type of bags so im actually going to take the plundge and order one of these backpacks and one of the ISM backapacks. I think the ella would make great purses though more than diaper bags so maybe ill just get a small purse instead. Desicions desicions..LOL

Thanx for the in depth look...

pritchettzoo Guest

Do you use CDs? I thought you did, but I may be mistaken. Is the Elaine sufficient in size for them or would you go with the Lily for CDs?

Thanks! I'm still debating fabrics too...

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

parkersmama Guest

Great question, Anna! I'm wondering the same thing...

cvharris Guest

Default Aimee responded to me with options

I'm paraphrasing here as I don't want to quote her e-mail directly, so if you are interested in anything below I would ask her about it.

She mentioned some possibilities in response to my feedback and questions about another bag...

She said that they aim to keep their prices low so that any woman can afford a custom made bag. There are options for those who want to upgrade their bag. Adding a heavier fabric to the inside of the bag is possible. If I'd like to add a heavier fabric, such as twill or canvas, they can do that. They can use exterior fabric for the pockets, too. For extra stiffness, they can use crinoline to make bags ultra-stiff. Adding crinoline to lightweight fabrics with the interfacing helps them maintain shape and stiffness. The crinoline cost is around the same as adding 2 extra layers of interfacing. I'm not sure how much any fabric upgrades are.

As for straps, they used to make them wider, but found that they are harder to hold on the shoulder. But if you get a snap together strap option, that should take care of that problem. So, I think that you can request wider straps. Ties can also be made from the same fabric.

She also said that they are getting ready to offer new hardware for bags (like feet) and that she is looking into "hooks" for the key loop. The key loop was originally made for those who already had a hook on their keys, but so many customers want an actual hook. They are working on obtaining a hook that opens like a claw, is completely round, and small enough to be used in bags. I do not think it is available yet.

cvharris Guest

Default Do CDs fit in the Elaine? Brianna?

I do use CDs. My understanding is that the Lily is 2" wider and taller than the Elaine. I doubt it's 2" deeper, because my Lily isn't very deep (front to back). I think with both bags, you'd be putting CDs in the main (middle) area. I have the Lily and wouldn't be able to put CDs in any of the pockets. I don't think the extra 2" of height that the Lily has helps you much with CDs, so I guess it's just the extra 2" of width that might help. I don't have the Elaine so I can't be sure, but I think it would be big enough.

Brianna has the Elaine and since she has CD'd, she could probably better answer that question.

Carolee - Thanks for your review. You were super detailed and I think it will help a lot of people. I think that her philosophy of any woman being able to customize a bag is great. I think the fact that you can build your bag from scratch and have all of these nifty options is the huge draw to the ella bags.

Your bag is really cute!!!! :)
    Mom to R and R

So Debbi, have you decided and ordered your bag? :) What fabrics and bag size are you getting?

Calmegja2 Guest

I received my backpack from Ella yesterday. I ordered before the coop started, and I have the black toile backpack, exactly as shown on the site. I use a little hardcase diaper changing pack (transferring it back and forth) in most of my bags, so I didn't order any extras.

It's lovely. The construction is topnotch, and I am very pleased with how it looks.

It's not huge, and I think it'll be a great compliment to wear, and it's a good out and about for the morning errands size.

I'm a digitally camera challenged, so I'm not sure I'll be able to post pics in a timely manner, but I am very pleased with it.

I actually like that it isn't stiff fabric, because that makes it more malleable for handling, so it works for us.

Pretty bag. I'd carry it sans kiddos... ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast