Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do you carry a diaper bag and your own?

It has been 4 years and I still havn't figured out a good system. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Default RE: Do you carry a diaper bag and your own?

For me, it all gets mixed up. One day I will decide I want my own bag. The next day I will be running a quick errand and just grab wallet out of my bag and put into diaper bag. Next day I am going out without kids grab my bag and find out later my wallet is not in
    it.

Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Kimberly H Guest

Technically I have separate bags but if I'm going out with the baby for any length of time (besides dropping off/picking up at daycare) I have a pocket in her tote for my wallet, cell phone and lipgloss. Keys go in the outside slip pocket.

parkersmama Guest

I use two separate bags but I really hate my system. Same as you...I've been doing this for years and have yet to strike upon the perfect solution! :(

I am still trying to find something I like systemwise, I have done a bit of everything over the last nearly 5 years (gasp, that long, eek). I prefer to carry one bag, but more and more am finding that I only use the snacks, diapers and wipes out of it- not the toys and spare outfits. The only bag that I have found that seems functional for me with my stuff and the kids stuff is the AmeriHealth Baby Bag, but I like the one bag concept if we are all going out together. When I worked out of the home, I had a purse, a briefcase, a computer case, and the diaper bag, lol. Sundays I carry a big tote so I have toys, books, activities, plus diapers, wipes, and spare outfits (why has my son decided that Pastor's sermons should bring on a poop, lol), as well as mommy stuff. Nursery school pick up only days are a purse (now doing a small healthy back bag) with diaper or two and wipes thrown in. i am nervous that if I keep up the one bag thing that my kids, their stuff, and my wallet will end up at a playdate/with their dad/at a sitter together iykwim. :-| But dd was diagnosed with a dairy allergy and now I am carrying a ton of snacks too, so my load has grown again. I am hoping someone weighs in with a system that really works well.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

kkb99 Guest

What I've been doing is using the LE small (like little tripper size) backpack for me and kids. My cell phone, wallet, checkbook, keys, pda all go in the outer pocket. This will JUST fit with nothing else in there. Trouble is, stuff is always getting in there- first a lipstick, then a few receipts... then I'm trying to jam the wallet back in, it won't close well- you get the picture. Would work ok if I cleaned out the receipts everyday. Bad thing is, if I go somewhere alone, I end up taking my whole diaper bag because its easier than pulling things into a purse (and where did I put that purse??). Plus, when I do pull things out into the purse, I inevitably end up missing something later that didn't get put back into diaper bag. I think a little bag that fit into/onto the big bag would be perfect, like the Bandicoot. I say this, and yet that is not the bag I'm thinking of getting! Maybe I should rethink this. :-)

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I had to reply to this because I think I've got a pretty good system down. I started doing this before baby when I had a career (you know- that other life ;)) Anyway, it worked with the briefcase/purse dilemna and now it works with the diaper bag.

For myself, I've crammed sample sized everythings (miniature compact, a lipstick that matches everything, pen, tiny Purell hand sanitizer bottle, dental floss, advil, etc.) into one of those makeup bags that are given away with the cosmetic purchase "Bonuses" that some department stores occasionally have. They are usually small and I've fit everything I need in there. I also carry for myself a wallet which has a change purse/checkbook/credit card compartments. No matter what bag or purse I take with me, the cosmetics bag and the wallet will go in there. And they are easy to switch at the last minute and I only buy purses that they will both fit in. This has really helped me stay organized. Oh, and the cell phone is a tiny one that goes into an easily-retrievable pocket on the outside of the diaper bag.

Hope I've been an inspiration!

wendinbill Guest

I tried to do all one bag, but it's just too difficult now that I'm back to work part-time. I like having my own bag, so that I can grab it & go when I'm pressed for time.

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I never carry my diaper bag, I leave it in the SUV which has a fold down back and I use it at a changing table...
    I guess I'm the minority but I honest to goodness have not really needed it on me ever...
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Lots of good ideas. I have to pick a system and stick with it!

Neve, never? What about a wipe, a snack, a drink? I can't imagine not being able to produce a goldfish on demand.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast