holliam Guest

Default Where to get diaper bag accessories?

We already own at least 500 different styles of backpacks at our house so rather than buying yet another baby-specific one, we're thinking about just getting the diaper bag "innards".

So far, this is the only set I can find:

http://www.mommyshelperinc.com/diaperessentials.htm

Does it seem to have everything I'd need in this set? Anything missing?

It runs about $30, which seems high just for the insides to stick in another bag.

Are there other options? I don't want to use just plastic bags or anything like that.

Holli

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Where to get diaper bag accessories?

You can gte changing pads anywhere (Target, TRU/BRU) for a few $$. You can get one of the hardsided travel wipes containers (liek Huggies or Pampers) at most any Target-like store or drugstore.

The other stuff is kind of useless in my opinion. I use a Ziplock bag for a dirty duds bag. This works great since it can lay on the bottom of the bag and takes up no room, but its there if you need it.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Changing Pad- These can be purchased at most stores like Walmart, Kmart, Target, BRU, etc. You can also use a recieving blanket or a towel. I have a friend who uses the cheap plastic table clothes and cuts them into pads, then tosses them as they get grungy (these also make great mattress pads on a toilet training toddlers bed). (Cost about 6-12$)

Toiletries kit- Cosmetic case or Ziploc

Bottle holder- BRU, Target, etc. usually carry these

Dirty Duds bag- I always use these for clean stuff anyway. How are you supposed to clean them after putting stuff with runny newborn baby poop on it in them??!!?!? Never made sense to me. So for actually dirty stuff I use larger Ziplocs.

Accessory bag for paci- They sell paci cases for around $2 at Baby Depot, BRU, etc. Never needed anything like this, though I bet what I use as a change bag could have been meant for this.

Wipes container- Huggies or pampers has these depending on which wipes you use; they are cheap and refillable.

Just a thought- If you decide you need to buy these accesories, why not buy a diaper bag that comes with them? Many of the "cheapie" diaper bags contain lots of extras, as do some well made less expensive ones. You could always keep it as your car stock up bag in your trunk, donate the bag to a charity or sell it and just keep the insides/extras. Lands End has great bags with some extras, ranging from $20 on up. For many moms they find a diaper bag and stick to it, but many others change out periodically and just move this type of stuff from one to another.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/...95638229168110
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures (click on buying info on the left to see the actual description and reviews, etc, but I thought it gave a good idea of the types of extras that come with some bags)

HTH~
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

holliam Guest

Thanks everyone. I thought it seemed pricey just for these accessories.

I've actually researched diaper bags pretty extensively. I've got it narrowed down to either the Lands End or Eddie Bauer backpack style.

That's kind of how I got to this point. It seemed silly to buy yet another backpack when I already have tons of special-use backpacks. It seems we're backpack junkies!

I'm not a stylish mom. Most of the "hip" diaper bags out there would look ridiculous on my shoulder. I'm the earthy, low-key backpack type, and DH is going to be the stay-at-home dad. So, definitely don't want anything other than a backpack.

Thanks for your input! It helps a lot.

Holli

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

One thong to think about with a backpack is that it can be hard to impossible to access the contents while you are walking around with it. Not such a problem when a baby is younger, but more of an issue with a toddler. I prefer messenger style bags for this reason.

I am also not into "hip" bags and am more of a casual/LLBean kinda momma, so those type bags work well for me too. Check out Timbuk2 bags (www.timbuk2.com) also and see what you think. If you have a backpack fetish, you have to see these! :)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)