robmab719 Guest

Default My Fleurville Field Trip -- Mothership and Alpha 7 thoughts

So, in the interest of the co-op, I decided to take a lunchtime field trip to my local baby boutique that carries the Fleurville bags. This is what they had in stock:

Motherships:
    Purple Swirl
    Chestnut Corduroy
    White Corduroy
    Fiesta Stripe (did not even know it came in this pattern!)
    Indigo Denim
    Canyon Paisley
    Tropical Leaf
    Pink Chocolate
    Blue Chocolate

Alpha 7s:
    Camo Canvas
    Black Corduroy
    Chestnut Corduroy

No Escape Pods or Wrist Bags (these are special order only).

Overall, I confirmed what I already knew. The Alpha 7 is maybe 10% smaller than the Mothership overall. However, my new revelation is that the Alpha 7 closes with velcro instead of the magnetic snap like the Mothership. Not a huge deal, but I had forgotten that.

I didn't really like the Alpha 7s in corduroy...they looked a bit manly, and the chestnut corduroy reminded me a little of the 70s. I love the design of that bag, though, particularly the pockets on the front that are covered by the flap when the bag is closed. That's really a perfect spot for sunglasses, cell phone and diaper rash ointment. (Or anything else you need quick access to.)

I really wish they'd had the Alpha 7s in red canvas or blue chocolate because those are the fabrics I'm the most tempted by. The camo did NOTHING for me, but then again, I've never been a fan of camo.

Of the Motherships, of course I am partial to the Purple Swirl, but surprisingly, I kind of liked the chestnut corduroy Mothership, too. Something about the vinyl coating made the color of the bag almost kind of "shimmery." I can't even describe it, but if you have a chance to see that bag in person...check it out.

If anyone would like descriptions of any of the other colors, let me know. I looked at them all pretty closely! :)

pandora Guest

Default RE: My Fleurville Field Trip -- Mothership and Alpha 7 thoughts

Thanks a lot, Robyn! (sarcasm :)) Just when I'd decided that that brown corduroy mothership was too boring and I didn't have to have it, you made it cool and shimmery!!!

robmab719 Guest

Hey, it surprised me, too! I had no idea that I ever like that one.

Truska Guest

Okay, likely a dumb question, but how was the white (you know, other than white?!)? Horribly, blinding white, or somewhat nice? I'm pretty tempted by that for a Mothership. And I would've loved to have heard about the Alpha in blue chocolate...another one I'm eyeing!

robmab719 Guest

The white was very nice. Not blinding at all. It kind of reminded me a bit of white patent leather...like shiny go-go boots. Very mod! But the softness and texture of the corduroy gives it a very unique look. The white would probably be my second favorite of the Mothership colors. I really love the chocolate interior...very warm and offsets the white nicely.

And I happen to know that Mariana has the blue chocolate Alpha 7, so I bet she'd be happy to tell you ALL about it! :)

helaina Guest

>Okay, likely a dumb question, but how was the white (you
    >know, other than white?!)? Horribly, blinding white, or
    >somewhat nice? I'm pretty tempted by that for a Mothership.
    >And I would've loved to have heard about the Alpha in blue
    >chocolate...another one I'm eyeing!

I also went to my local boutique yesterday to see the Fleurville bags. The white corduroy Mothership is my absolute favorite looks-wise. It's not a blinding white, it's a rich creamy white, kind of like white chocolate but with some shine (kind of the way a diamond reflects back white light). You can just tell from looking at in under the vinyl that it will look great forever. The white stood out to me as *the* bag. It is SOOOO pretty. I would love to use it year round and despite that outdated "no white after Labor Day" rule, I think it would look great over a winter coat. I'm picturing it over a light beige, camel, or pink coat, but I think it would work over a grey, red, or black coat too.

The store had all the Mothership patterns and the Alpha 7 in blue chocolate, pink chocolate, and orange corduroy. I've seen the black and chestnut corduroy Alpha 7s in the past and the chestnut is my favorite of the Alpha 7s. The blue chocolate is pretty but it looks very summery to me. However I do think it would lovely over a white/cream winter coat. It is clear though that the blue and pink chocolate material will last better than the corduroy Alphas since they don't have the vinyl coating.

I spent the whole night trying to decide between the chestnut corduroy Alpha 7 and the beautiful shimmering white corduroy mothership. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can afford both, since that's what I *really* want :-)

I am interested in the Black Corduroy Alpha 7 (as a nice winter bag - I have a PP Shrimp Roll for summer). I'm just not a fan of the vinyl coating so these uncoated corduroy bags appeal to me! I have only seen the Chestnut and Orange corduroy Alpha 7's IRL. Is the Black Corduroy a wide-wale corduroy like the Orange? Or is it finer? I can't tell from the pictures.

robmab719 Guest

I believe it's more like the orange, though I haven't seen the orange one IRL. The black corduroy is exactly like the chestnut corduroy, if you can find a pic that one on the Fleurville site.

helaina Guest

> Is the Black Corduroy a wide-wale corduroy like the Orange?
    > Or is it finer?

I saw it a few months ago and I'm pretty sure it was the same kind of wale as the orange and chestnut. I saw all three next to each other and I remember thinking that the black was very black. You know how some canvas blacks are lighter like a charcoal grey? Well the Alpha 7 is not. It's a very deep black. Deeper black than Coach black leather. It also seemed less shiny than the chestnut and orange. Well, I guess the orange has a glow to it because the color is so bright, and the chestnut corduroy just seems to reflect some light while the black doesn't. It's probably the deepest black bag I've ever seen. Anyway, I think the wale was the same as on the other two.

Truska Guest

>The white corduroy Mothership is my absolute
    >favorite looks-wise. It's not a blinding white, it's a rich
    >creamy white, kind of like white chocolate but with some shine
    >(kind of the way a diamond reflects back white light). You
    >can just tell from looking at in under the vinyl that it will
    >look great forever. The white stood out to me as *the* bag.
    >It is SOOOO pretty. I would love to use it year round and
    >despite that outdated "no white after Labor Day" rule, I think
    >it would look great over a winter coat. I'm picturing it over
    >a light beige, camel, or pink coat, but I think it would work
    >over a grey, red, or black coat too.

>Now I'm trying to figure out if I can afford
    >both, since that's what I *really* want :-)

Thanks for the description...this is *exactly* what I want...I just have to figure out how to get them here without my husband freaking out! :-)