Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Dscvrlifewith3 Guest

Default RE: Yikes!

Excellent points! :)

We do not buy knock off/generic prescription or over the counter drug anymore. Mainly because knock offs or generics are compounded differently and the manufacturers are often lax, you never know if you are getting the same thing twice. Having become friends with a woman who works in cancer research, my eyes have been open wide by her. First I know her salary (which is sad considering she has a Phd.), she works off grants, and I have seen her pour herself over literature, documenting her own work, etc that its sad to know that a decades from now, someone is going to take her work and use it to make something cheap without having to really go the lenths she and her colleages went to make it. Yes, I know this is how America works, but I also have learned that generics are often inferior to their name brand counter parts. What is really sad is that some insurance companies encourage buying generics.

Default RE: A few comments

It is funny that you should mention Dooney & Bourke since they have recently knocked off the Louis Vuitton Murakami bags (along with about a million other handbag companies), and their bag looks pretty much like the LV bag, except has "DB" all over it instead of "LV" As far as that goes, they also have knocked off the Coach mini signature bags as they look pretty much just like the Coach ones, except the "DB" instead of the "C," and many of them have the exact same shapes, such as the wristlet and hobo. Why is that any different than this? If it is the lower price, Dooney bags are cheaper than Coach, too. If you want to go cheaper yet, you have Liz Claiborne bags that are remarkably similar to the LV and Coach, Juicy Couture that look just like the D&B bags, and XOXO bags that are remarkably similar to the LV, and on down the line. If you have a problem with this knockoff, you should have a problem with Dooney & Bourke and the others as well, IMO.

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Can I just ask - is anyone interested in a Co-op type thing...

I might be. :)

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Can I just ask - is anyone interested in a Co-op type thing...

Maybe....depending on styles, colors, and costs. Thanks for looking into it.
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom~

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Dinatelli diaper bag -- Mothership knock off???

I posted this days ago, but I guess it didn't show up.

I'm not surprised that wal-mart is copying. It's not the first time, I believe Samara even sued them over it.

I try my hardest not to shop there (they are the ONLY store that carries Ds' laundry soap), I don't like to support them, I don't like how they treat their employees and I don't like what they are doing to retail businesses when their enormous stores open.

Dscvrlifewith3 Guest

Default RE: A few comments

D&B has had their logo all over their bags before. Think the 80s. Twenty years ago they had leather bags with the DB all over them. I don't think D&B, is trying to pretend to be anything other than D&B.

Yes, many bags have similar shapes and sizes to them. There are only so many sizes and shapes to make a bag, makeup case, or wristlet. So yes I think there is a difference. Similar does not mean the same. There is a great deal of difference too, more than three which is required from a legal standpoint. None of the companies you mentioned are trying to be knock offs of each other products, they are not pretending to be anything other than what they are. They do not have logos made to look similar to their competitions.

Also, I want to make a point that I was just using them as an example.I have no association with them nor do I own one (or care too)

essnce629 Guest

Default RE: Yikes!

I would be interested in a co-op!

I was a full time nursing student up until January, and I'm now a 23 year old SAHM, I'm not married, I'm living back at home with my mom, and my only income is the $400 a month I get from my boyfriend and the money I make from babysitting another baby, which I just started last week. And I also have $36,000 of student loans (USC is expensive!) that I have to start paying off. Needless to say, I CANNOT affort a $150 Fleurville right now, although if I could I would definately buy one. But I do like how the Fleurville is organized and I could really use a super big bag, so for me, this Dinatelli bag is very appealing, as is the Kecci and Fiona Lang bags which are a little more in my price range (although I really shouldn't be buying any bags). So if I can get my hands on a Dinatelli bag I would be estactic. Yes, I know the quality is probably no where near the real Fleurville, but since I can't afford the real thing this is the next best thing. And if I get a Dinatelli bag does that mean I will never buy a Fleurville bag. No, of course not. If I can one day afford a Fleurville then I definately would get one because I know it is such a high quality bag. But until then, I'd love a Dinatelli to get me by. JMHO.

So, how about that co-op :).

***Latia
    Conner 8/19/03
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Who cares? Back off-If you don't like it stay out of the thread

" been so thrilled (and rightly so, IMO) to buy the Kecci bag, "

IMHO, the difference is something that is resembling the style and something that is out-right duplicating it. Now, I'm not a Fleurville-user and haven't see the WM bags, so if I am wrong about that, my mistake. I, personally, have problems with the design of the PP bags and that is why I don't own one, but the Kecci seems like it may have resolved the issues I have and that's why I can't wait to get mine, that and it is a deal! I think there's a difference between a deal and a steal.

But to be honest, I am not trying to be snobby about what anyone can afford, my real barely-existant issue is with wal-mart, not with the bags.

masetane Guest

Default RE: Who cares? Back off-If you don't like it stay out of the thread

Just replying to unsubscribe to this thread. While the lurker, who won't give her name, is entitled to her opinion and the person who suggested not to buy knock offs is entitled her opinion - it gets me really angry to see such exhaustive measures taken to call people snobbish, stupid etc. There is such a thing as being polite and stating your side politely. I wish you would continue to be a lurker and keep your rude opinions to yourself or learn how to respond in a mature manner. Nothing gets me more upset than seeing someone being rude and mean. I may not have agreed with someone but at least I have never been rude. I hate reading posts like this - say what you need to say but skip the name calling - it makes you look silly.
    That's all I have to say - now off to read more interesting posts! :)
    Caroline
    Isabelle 10/1/00
    Nicholas 2/27/03

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Deep, dark, ugly secrets

Okay....I think this thread is getting way too serious and maybe just a bit heated. So, in the name of our forum "bargains", I will confess...
    I buy generic paper towels, fake leather shoes from Walmart, and look to ebay first for anything "frivolous". As an educated healthcare worker and consumer, I do not hesitate (in fact, I seek out), generic drugs, both prescribed and OTC. As a new SAHM who has cut her salary to less than 1/3 of my usual in order to be with my son, I happily cut back on a lot. I also go to a salon to get highlights, only feed my son expensive organic baby food, and just switched to Pampers (gasp! ;) I also try my best to support local businesses and WAHM's. To me, it's all about priorities and what you value and the "price" of luxury. I like the layout and size of the Mothership (material-wise, I think it's kinda ugly). So if buying a takeoff means that I can save a bit more for college or clothes, yet get a bag to make my life easier, so be it. I buy what I like, not for a name, not to prove a point, not necessarily to "make a stand". Perhaps when companies stop gouging consumers, there won't need to be knock-offs. But, until that time, I will shop at grocery stores that take expired coupons, load up at Sam's club, and wear my 3 year-old Birkie's to work.....all in the name of savings and bargains.

Traci
    ~Connor's Mom~

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast