Thread: fave backpacks?

2manyquestions Guest

Default fave backpacks?

I need a backpack. I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and I really need to have my hands free, I'm discovering. At the moment I carry quite a bit of stuff but I realize that will change somewhat soon. I've been using the Eddie Bauer diaper backpack, which I just grabbed from Target in a moment of desperation. While it seems to be an okay size (maybe a tad on the large size for everyday use), it is really uncomfortable. It's very durable, but I think some of the features that make it tough also make it too heavy. My back is always killing me after wearing it. I think it may be more a bag for Daddies! One day of wearing the baby in the Bjorn with the backpack on my back is enough to put me in the hospital!

I'm fairly new to this thread but have been checking out some of the bags you all are tossing around. The Bumblebags Jessica messenger/backpack looks cute so far, but I'm not sure about comfort with those straps. Also like the WW backpacks a lot, but not sure about size. Help! Which backpack do you have and what do you love/hate about it?

Thanks!

lmariana Guest

Default RE: fave backpacks?

I have a few diaper backpacks...

The Chester Diaper Backpack (www.chesterhandbags.com) is a great medium sized backpack. Decent organization, but totally cute and very lightweight. They are normally $120, but you can find many on their clearance page for $60. They're bags are great altogether!

The Baby Sherpa Diaper Backpack (www.babysherpa.com) is a wonderful large backpack. It's always been very comfortable on me, even when it's fully loaded. This puppy can hold EVERYTHING! It has a built-in cooler compartment, x-large changing pad, is very lightweight, and tons of organizational pockets. You can find them cheap on Ebay, so don't pay full price! The only drawbacks to me are the large size and complete sportiness, it's not "cute".

The Fleurville Alpha 7 (www.fleurville.com) converts from a messenger bag to a backpack, similar to the Bumble Bag you mentioned. Wonderful organization is a Fleurville standard, lightweight, and fun colors add to this bag's fun factor. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for daily backpack use though. Retails for $118, but you can usually catch a good deal on the Babybags Swap board.

The Kecci Shanghai Mommy Bag (www.kecci.com) also converts into a backpack. I find this one more comfortable than the Fluerville, but the quality isn't as nice. I love the fabric though. Good organization and a nice weight. Retails around $65, but you can sometimes find them at Nordstrom's Rack (the outlet) for $37, or you can get that same price through our co-op's here on this board. :)

Some other bags that can be worn as backpacks include: Petunia Picklebottom (www.petuniapicklebottom.com), Ella Bags (www.ella-bags.com), Whimsical Wears (www.whimsicalwears.com), and Land's End (www.landsend.com).

About the Baby Bjorn and back pain...I too had issues with the Bjorn. I stumbled into the "Carriers" forum one day and discovered the wonderful world of baby slings and pouches! After using my Hotsling, I've never had back pain again and will never go back to the Bjorn again! I also have a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch for the cooler months that is the tops in comfort. So, if you haven't tried an alternative to the Bjorn, I highly recommend it!

Have fun on your diaper bag hunt!

Mariana
    www.heinzandmariana.com
    Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img]

2manyquestions Guest

Wow, thanks for all the great info. After processing, I think I am leaning toward the Bumble Bag Jessica bag, now just to figure out which color I like (Olive Stripes is catching my fancy at the moment)! I like that it's very cute, not so backpack-y looking. I am tired of always carrying around a bag that looks like a diaper bag, I'm ready to join the world of fashion (kinda) again!

For others interested in Bumble Bags, I found that www.zappos.com (FABULOUS shoe site if you haven't discovered it yet) carries many of them. I like zappos because they offer free shipping, and free returns which makes me feel better about buying things off the Internet.

Thanks Mariana!

lmariana Guest

Let us know how you like the Bumble Bag! I find Zappo's prices to be kinda high, try www.babyoliverboutique.com. Many of us have had wonderful customer service from them in the past. The Posh Baby diaper bag is also similar to the Bumble Bag. I haven't seen it in person, but it's always looked pretty cute, and I believe it has waterproof coating!

Mariana
    www.heinzandmariana.com
    Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img]