Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RAVE: My LL Bean microfiber

Can I say, "wow?" I am impressed with this bag, and was even having doubt about it. I ordered it on a whim, since I needed to get some winter gear for DH and the baby. This bag is very cool, it has lots of pockets, it has three different carrying styles too. A traditional messenger carry, a short handle to carry it like a briefcase AND it also has a backpack option! This is actually why I got it, I wanted something kind of like the fluerville (but not as girly and bulky, so DH would use it too), that could be worn as a backpack too. Basically, there are extra straps that unzip from a pouch for the backpack straps. In terms of organization, this thing has quite a few pockets, the obligatory LL Bean key fob, AND you can also unzip the front compartment (it has a main compartment that you can unzip from top, and then a front compartment with all the organization under a messenger flap) for even more room around the sides! I got the boring black, b/c I want this bag to be very versatile and after getting a possibilities and ordering two WW, I think I have enough, "girly" bags for a while. I have quite a bit packed into it, more than I could fit in my skip hop AND it is not bulgy looking when full, it holds its shape well.

The pad on the backpack straps are really nice, the pad on the regular messenger shoulde straps felt uncomfortable when the bag was empty, BUT when I loaded it up with my stuff, it made sense why the padding felt a little stiffer (it does not dig into your shoulder and it's kind of big). Size wise, it is not as long as my skip hop, BUT it is maybe about 1-2 inches taller. There is a cell phone pocket on the outside on the side and the other side has a mesh pocket that will fit a sippy or water bottle. Unfortunately, there is no big pocket inside for a sippy, so that may be one thing that some moms would really miss having. Anyway, it's $56 and right now LL Bean is having free shipping too (it's sent via fed ex). If I had found this bag earlier, I actually don't think I would have gotten my skip hop. One thing I also like is, unlike my skip hop, this bag is able to stand on my it's own. I think that is the one thing (other than the shoulder strap too and lack of key fob) on my skip hop that drives me nuts. It (skip hop) topples over unless you lean it on something or hang it on something.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out another bag for everyone to obsess about. This is defintiely a gender neutral bag, and more, "sporty" looking IMO, but also nice and trim looking too, it's not big looking like my LE DIA. I wanted something to use in the winter time that actually zipped up and the microfiber is also something that can be easily wiped clean (winters get nasty around here with all the salt, etc..). The sage and blue are nice looking colors, I wish they would have had red or something more bright, but the black is fine for me and this would be an awesome bag even after you're finished using it as a baby bag.

Here's a link...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...d=pp&feat=dp50
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

dmlbonjour Guest

Default RE: RAVE: My LL Bean microfiber

Oooh - this looks really nice. I have been searching everywhere for a backpack diaper bag to use while I have the baby in my Bjorn carrier. The one problem I keep having though is that we have a bad problem with pickpockets where we live so I am too afraid to get one that had the traditional around the top zipper closure. The way this one folds down and then latches would make pickpocketing definitely more difficult!

I have a couple of questions reagarding the backpack straps - are they adjustable? and also, when it is in backpack mode, can the shoulder strap be hidden or taken off?

Also, do you know if it is waterproof/resistant? Our winters are awful 6 month long rainy affairs, so this is a consideration as well.

I don't know if it is too much trouble, but some folks have posted pics of their bags - if you could that would be a big help. I keep seeing stuff that I think looks ok, and then I see it IRL and they are HUGE!

My mom is coming over in a couple of weeks, so I might just get her to stick one of these in her case!

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for posting such a great review! I've actually had my eye on the tote bag that's part of this same line, but this bag looks pretty nice (and versatile!) too. Hmmmm . . . even more to think about :)
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

ckleist Guest

Do you think you could posts some pics of the bags? I'd love to see what inside looks like. Also, what color is the inside? Does it have the black hole effect or does stuff seem to be easy to find?

Thanks!

ckleist Guest

I checked out the site and it looks like the bags (at least black) is on order until 10/15. Also, how do you get free shipping? I was going thru the ordering process and it calcated $6.95 for shipping. Is there a special code?

Thanks

Lol, I was torn btwn this bag and the same tote bag you mentioned. However, what really caught my eye with this one was that it looked slim AND the backpack straps made it more versatile. I have no backpack diaper bags, so thought this would be nice.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I will try to post pics later on today. Yes, the backpack straps are nice, they are hidden into a zippered pocket in the back of the bag when not in use. When you use it, the straps are adjustable and they have two loops that you hook the bottom of the backpack straps too. They did a nice job of hiding it, you really wouldn't even suspect the backpack option unless you saw the two small metal loops a the bottom two corners on the back of the bag. As for water resistance, I wouldn't submerge it in water, but d/t the material I think it would not get soaked in the rain/snow like a cotton tote. I will give it a try and post an update. Looking at the site, it does say it is supposed to be stain and water resistant (not proof). The only thing about the black is that I am sure that it will show dust, but that could probably be easily brushed off.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I'll get some pics up later on today. Free shipping at LL Bean code:

Here is a free shipping code with no minimum purchase required- 2238150 exp 1/1/05
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I forgot to add that yes, the shoulder strap detaches, so you can take it off while using it in backpack or suitcase mode.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

dmlbonjour Guest

Thanks so much for the info! I can't wait to see the pics.
    Thanks for going out of your way to do this!
    -Michelle

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast