Thread: Camping?

stcelia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Camping?

I really don't know where to post this. I'm putting it here, because its places to go!

We are planning a camping trip this summer, when DS will be 3-6 months old. We were discussing the trip with another couple who will come along with their child, approximately the same age, and we can't figure out a safe sleeping scenario for the babies. Do you think its ok to let them sleep inside our sleeping bags? We have the option to use an air mattress or we could use thermarests. Maybe the therma rest is ok for the baby, but we weren't sure about an airmatress.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks - Jenn

MomTo5 Guest

Default RE: Camping?

You could let them sleep with you. I have done co-sleeping with all of my kids on and off since they were born. Another option would be to get a pack and play and put it in the tent with you. HTH.

Melissa

MomTo5 Guest

Default Sorry double post.

Sorry

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another vote for the pack and play idea.

I haven't gone camping yet with my DD, but my sister has with her two kids and the PNP always went along to do double duty. Someplace off the ground to play and sleep!

Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

I'd definitely say Thermarest over air mattress if you choose to co-sleep. We camped when dd was 6 months and put her all bundled up in the pack & play then covered the majority of the pack & play with a heavy blanket to keep out drafts, tucked it under the legs to secure it and left the side facing us open for ventilation and so we could check on her. Worked out very well.

Erika
    Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea due April 05

twizzli is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I would say it definitely depends on your situation, we brought a PNP into a smaller tent and it was very claustrophobic and stuffy and DS screamed all night until I brought him into the car and drove around the park for an hour. If you have a large tent or RV this might not be an issue. We never coslept so I don't know how that works, but if I was doing it again I would use either a moses basket or even a laundry basket if your child does not pull up yet. I would still bring the PNP since we used it a lot to keep DS contained around the campsite.
    Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have found in traveling with baby, the more like home the better, and this applies to camping. If you co-sleep, bring baby into bed with you. If baby sleeps in a crib, bring the PNP or maybe one of those little portable beds.

We did a fair bit of car camping last summer, and DD slept with us on our air mattress. But we co-slept at home, so it was a simple choice and worked out great. We have a set of sheets and a comforter that we take camping. I don't find sleeping bags all that comfortable these days, in my old age.