groovybubs Guest

Default 12 hour flight... what to pack?

I am going on a 12 hour flight with DH and DD (she is 4 months old), any suggestions what to pack? She uses dis. diapers and is nursing.
    I am so nervous being this is my first time flighing with a baby. I am planning on bringing a snap and go to the airport.

Thanks in advance,

Talia

Default RE: 12 hour flight... what to pack?

I've read that you should feed them during take off & landing to help with ear aches from the change in cabin pressure. If you can't nurse during this time you may want to pump and bring a bottle.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The longest I have done was 6 with DS. Lots of diapers change of outfits changing pad to lay down for diaper changes. Some international flights have bassinets ( near the bulk head if I am saying the term correctly) but you have to "reserve" them ahead of time. Maybe an extra shirt for you...DS always got me!In short I would pack enough in her carryon to last for 36 hours. That way if for some reason you have a flight delay/missed plane and they cant get you on the next flight you wont have to worry with buying diapers at the airport. BTW my girlfriend just told me she ran short and they are $1.50 each!!
    Like the pp try to BF during take off and landing helps with her ears. Good Luck

mamaAnn Guest

I just flew cross country with my 3 mos old just last month (and 3 yr and 6 yr olds) and he was a breeze to travel with. We only had to be in the plane for about 5-6 hrs total but it was 12 hrs from our door to our destination. I carried him in a pouch and that was awesome for traveling!
    I took 8-10 diapers, packed the little travel wipes container full and took some more in a baggie, 2 changes of clothes for him, changing pad, burp rag, small blanket and a travel size of kleenex. I also think you should have an extra shirt but I wore a t-shirt under a long sleeve cotton cardigan so I could take one off if needed (I also got spit on when traveling with my first baby and stunk for about 5 hrs-yuck!)
    This was all I took for the baby but since I had the other kids I was packed pretty good with snacks and books. This really is the best time to travel with a baby-they eat and sleep a lot! I nursed him on take off and he slept for more than half the air time.
    Good luck
    Ann

We did San Francisco - Brisbane Australia when DD was just about 5 months. Bring more changes of clothes for the baby than you think -- DD liked to poop explosively on takeoff, no matter how recently she had pooped, and we went through 3 outfits in one direction (which was all we had, and we had 10 hours of travelling left, so we were incredibly nervous). Do bring spare shirts at least for the grownups as well. Mostly DD slept at that age, but we did find it useful to have some of her favorite toys -- she finds squeaky noises soothing, and I have spent entire short flights when she was cranky squeaking things (yes, you do get occasional nasty looks, but most people are quite sympathetic).

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Also, you may want to pack infant Tylenol since 12 hours is a long time to go in case you suddenly need it. DD developed a fever on a 12 hr flight once and I am glad we had it with us in our carry on.

Also, maybe a sling/Baby Bjorn? If she has her own seat, she will still want to be held and it will make it easier for you to eat or sleep.

Good luck. A 4 month old will probably do very well and sleep a ton!

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04

Don't worry, this will probably be so easy you won't believe it. At that age all they want is to hang out with you, and you will be a captive audience. I second the change of clothes thing, and make all the clothes really comfortable like cotton outfits with no zippers, buttons, etc The easier the better I also cut the tags out of ds's clothes for one trip because I didn't want the tags to irritate him (that was probably overkill, but be aware of uncomfortable snaps, buttons, and tags). Also, I would bring your own blanket for the baby, airplane ones can be nasty, or sometimes there aren't any. Pack a sweater or sweatshirt because it can get cold even if it is warm where you are going/coming from. Also, if you do need to wear heavy jackets, pack them in the checked luggage. If you are wearing them to the airport you can put them in the outside pocket of a suitcase when you get to the airport, and then they will be easy to find Carrying jackets through the airport and on the plane is a total pain, and takes up uneccessary space if you already have a sweater for you and the babe, and a blanket. Also, if you have some kind of a pashmina shawl or something those are great for you and/or a baby blanket - and you look good too :)

Also, make sure you have any medications you and the baby will need when you get there on you in case of lost luggage, and a few spare diapers and pajamas in the event that you have lost luggage and need to just spend the night without anything. You probably don't want to be hitting the shops as soon as you arrive. Other than that I would just bring a baby book and some baby toys. It is great to be able to BF, it makes the flight much easier and there is much less to bring. Have fun!!!!!

angmoe Guest

Default RE: 12 hour flight... what to pack? Sorry really long reply.

I have taken overseas trips twice with DD, once at 2 1/2 months and once at 8 months. We traveled from Okinawa Japan to Minnesota. This summer I will be making the trip again with DD age 21 months and our new baby will be about 2 months old.
    What you need sometimes depends on the airline. I recommend calling and getting the bulkhead bassinett seat if it is available. Some airlines attach the seat to the bulkhead in front of you so the baby is at eye level. Others give you a bag like bassinet that just sits on the floor in front of you. It leaves very little space for your feet and you can not see the baby. I did not like the bag on the floor especially with people next to you getting in and out. However you need to put the baby somewhere when you eat. So it works for that ok.
    If you don't get the bulkhead seat many airlines make you sit next to the window if travelling with a small child. I don't know why. This is good and bad. It is nice because you don't have to worry about having to get up for the person on the inside seat if the baby falls asleep. and the window can be a good distraction for the baby. But it is also hard to get out when you are holding a little one.
    If the flight is not full regular seats are the best because you can set the baby next to you and put the arm up between you so it is like having your own small couch area.
    As far as clothes I also recommend at least 2 or 3 sets of clothes. I recommend one piece outfits. Similar to PJ's or the like. You don't want two piece outfits if possible because you then have to take the pants off and find somewhere to put them in the small and generally not so clean plane bathrooms. We usually bring a couple of one piece pj's or outfits and then also a couple of onesies. I figure that if I have blanket a onesie is probably enough if I run out of clothes. If I am visiting family and want the baby to look really nice getting off the plane I just bring an extra outfit to put the baby in to meet the family.
    Also make sure to bring a good size change pad. Something that is big enough for the baby to completely lay on. It helps if you have to put the baby on the floor when you go to the bathroom in the airport or in the airplane. Some international airports have nursing rooms. they can be used to nurse in private or they have hotwater if you need to make a bottle or just sit. Most airports also have family bathrooms that are extra large so you can fit a stroller in them or at least put the baby on the floor.
    I always bring a couple of books for the baby and quite toys. Expecially on international flights. With so many people sleeping I try to keep the baby quite and the toys quite. With DS we found a few toys like little people relatively quite rattles work pretty well. We also brought a mirror on the plane with us. We took the one that we used in the car, the ones that fit on the back of the seat to see the baby, she loved playing with it so that worked very well. We tried to attach the toys to those plastic rings you can get for the baby as well. Because there is not a lot of room in between the seats so you don't want to have to try to reach down with the baby in hand to pick up a toy.
    Bring any food that your baby might need or want for at least 36 hours. Depending on the time you arrive at your destination you may or may not be able to get to a store if needed.
    I always packed lots of diapers and wipes. Wipes are easier to find in airports or you can make them if neccessary but diapers are hard to find. So bring plenty.
    I bring a magazine for myself usually but generally don't have the time or energy to read it during the flight. And water for yourself. Especially if you are BF. You don't want to get dehydrated.
    Since you will have DH with you on your flights make use of him as well. When we traveled with DH we took turns sleeping and eating and that worked pretty well. And it is great to have someone carry the extra bags.
    My DH always tries to bring as little as possible especially on the airplane. He says he hates carrying lots of stuff around the airport, I tend to ignore him and overpack anyway. I figure better safe than sorry. A few times I was right and a few times he was right that we didn't need as much. But the times we did he was glad we had them. You never know when the airline will lose baggage.

As far as the ears popping we brought bottles, and pacifiers, even though DD was BF. It is hard to BF when taking off or landing especially if you have to make a connection when landing. The pacifiers work great if the baby will use it.

Sorry this was so long. I have actually traveled a lot with our now 18 month old some long 26 hour flights including layovers and some short 3 hour flights and a few in between so I have thought about it a lot.

Good luck. You will probably find it a lot easier than you expected. And once you are on the plane things generally go pretty smoothly.
    Hope this helps.