AbbieF Guest

Default Why are Dad's diaper bags so much cheaper?

Okay, can someone please come up with a reasonable explanation for why a Dad's diaper bag is much less expensive than the ones marketed to women?
    I really like the style of the Diaper Dude, but I really am not crazy about the graphics (I guess this is why its for a "dude"). So now they have a Diaper Diva- love the prints, really dislike that they are laminated, and they are more than double the price. So, where the "dude" was about $50, the diva is $110!
    Okay, you can tell me that the fabrics are more expensive and laminating (which I don't even want) is another cost- but enough to double the price?
    In my life I've had to get over a lot of the gender inequities out there- paying more for drycleaning, haircuts and the tailoring of clothes. But its hard to swallow this one, when we carry the bags most of the time.
    Sorry, for the whining but I figured if anyone would understand all of you would :)

Abbie
    Mom to Maddie 4/04

audball Guest

Default RE: Why are Dad's diaper bags so much cheaper?

I don't have an answer, but I totally hear 'ya! Maybe it's because they think that moms always carry the diaper bags and if there is a dad out there with one, it's an "extra" purchase as opposed to a mandatory purchase? Sexist, I agree, but I can't think of too many other reasons.

We got the Dad Field Dad from Jack Spade and it was about $100. Still more than what I think it should be, but it's nicely designed (clean lines), lined, has everything you basically need and no extras...If you want to talk about inconsistency in marketing, look at the Kate Spade diaper bags vs. the Jack Spade diaper bags...at *least* $150 cheaper to go with the dad versions.

The thing is, I would have actually preferred the Jack Spade Dad Field Bag if it had been scaled down...they wouldn't have had to add anything! They now have a dad backpack and tote, but they are gigantic....

You're right- it's wrong...maybe we should just design our own!

Default RE: Why are Dad's diaper bags so much cheaper?

Probably because they know we are suckers for fashionable & stylish accessories!! :D

It seems everything marketted especially toward women these days is more expensive then the male or gender neutral version. Even cereal & yogurt geared toward health conscious women is more expensive!! Go figure....I hear ya!!