Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What is most important when picking your diaper bag? Help me design my own bags!

I'm thinking of designing my own diaper bags and selling them locally. I would like to bump some ideas off of you and get your feed back on what it is you like/need most in a diaper bag. Things above I'm considering pretty heavily as what is best. I want to make a diaper bag that is very pretty but functional and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Things I think I will add is an outer pocket for bottle for baby or mom, a cell phone pocket, and an outer zip pocket for whatever. I'm trying to design a way to make it functional for moms who like messenger bags, and moms who don't. Lots of ideas are coming to mind but I haven't tried to make it yet so I'm not sure what is actually doable or not. I want pretty fabrics that are durable, but have yet to venture off into that road - I'm thinking maybe apholstery fabrics. I want to make two different sized bags, one medium size and one quit large for heavy packers. Also another question: Would you put a picture of your child on the front of your diaper bag if there was put a place for it, or not?

Thanks, any other feed back would be GREAT!!!

Also I e-mailed the Fields about this and have their approval for this post. Thank you so much!

Default RE: What is most important when picking your diaper bag? Help me design my own bags!

Personally, size is the first thing I look at. If it isn't an decent size, I can't use it. Then I look at the fabric and closure on a bag, I think that a zippered closure is best. Fabric choices are a must, I love sportier fabrics, camo is one of my favs! Pockets are good but must be functional, not to tall not to narrow either. Adjustable strap is nice for shorter people like me, or to adjust it to the stroller too.
    this board is full of great bags, and all different types of ideas to make even the best bag, better. And everyone likes something different too!

Default RE: What is most important when picking your diaper bag? Help me design my own bags!

Funny, I joked with DH that I wanted to do the same thing! Anyway, what I like in a bag is a light interior and something wider, not taller. I like to be able to open it and see everything inside. A few outside pockets are helpful too, as well as a very lightweight material.

Good luck with your plan!

Marcy
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

callalillyanne Guest

LOL, I too have thought about doing this ;) I think that pockets are my number one priority right now. The two different sizes would be good as well. I also think that there should be a light interior and the pockets should be placed near enough to the bottom of the bag so that they are stable. I myself like at least one interior bottle pocket. Also, I really like when the strap is attached to the bag via carabiner-type clips so that it can be hooked to a stroller easily ;)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

audball Guest

Great idea! Sounds like we have a consortium of new diaper bags coming (hee hee) :)...just wanted to add my $.02 too.

As a mom of 2, I find packing snacking cups the biggest challenge. I would actually vote for 2 bottle holders - but have them wide enough so that the glad snack cups or some other easy-to-find snack cup can fit...it would certainly save me from having to jumble through the bottom of my bag. If nothing else, at least a little ditty sack which keeps the cups organized! :)

-elastic pockets on interior
    -mommy things mini-bag or wallet, which clips someplace
    -agree with Anne about the light interior
    -bag should stand up on it's own

Good luck!

dshaulae Guest

I have to let you and everyone know about a diaper bag that I purchased. I purchased a cutom maded bag from Ella Bags. They do look beautiful on the site, and that is why I purchased one for $130.00. It arrived and the initials on the bag were wrong, so I sent it back. I understand that mistakes happen!

I received a new one a couple of weeks later (six weeks all together), and the bag is cute. However, I have only used the bag for TWO months, and it looks worn! I rarely leave the house these days, so the bag is usually just sitting in the baby's room. Also, the liner inside the bag sticks to everything. I have a hard time putting the bottles in and taking them out, because they stick to the liner. I bought the matching changing pad and it is almost impossible to get it back into the bag they provided, due to the plastic liner on both.

I just ordered a bag for $50.00, and mostly use it now. I do not mind spending money if the product is good, and holds up longer than two months.

I think that you are on the right track looking into making cute bags with durable fabrics. The more pockets the better! Good luck on your quest in making cute & functional bags!

I second the wide v tall bag. I voted for pockets, but I think adjustable strap is huge. I'm a heavy packer so I like it to not looked over stuffed from the outside too. HTH
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

Can you stand some more feedback? I think I have probably tried every bag out there at one time or another.
    Here is what I have got to have:

-Elastic Pockets on the inside, one insulated would be a plus
    -Water-resistant nylon interior
    -A few exterior pockets, including a long slip pocket on the back of the bag and one for a cell phone
    -Durable exterior fabric, I prefer something wipeable but pretty or funky (I am not a sporty bag kind of gal)
    -Feet on the bottom
    -Adjustable strap, slightly padded or at least one that doesn't dig into your shoulder
    -Some kind of closure on top (Either zipper or flap with magnetic snap. Got to keep the little hands out).
    Mmm, that's all I can think of for now.

Good Luck!!
    Michelle

DS#1 10/02
    DS#2 8/04

Homeschooling mom to 2 middle schoolers, once-owner of the now-defunct My Little Ducks

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is GREAT - keep it coming! I'm all ears!!!

Also does anyone feel like they would put a small pic of their kid on the bag if there was a place for it?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

I second what Michelle said!

- Lots of pockets (elastic is great, especially for bottle pockets), -- Exterior pockets for quick grab items (cell phone, handy wipes, sunglasses)
    - Definately feet on the bottom (I've found this is a huge plus to keeping the bottom of a bag clean).
    - If you go with a vinyl exterior, have it be pliable & soft. The Timi & Leslie vinyl is great. So is the vinyl on the Fleurville Sling Tote. Some of the vinyl covered bags though use a vinyl that is really stiff & plasticy, kind of a big turn-off in my opinion.

Plus, cool, funky prints is always a plus!!

Good luck! And if you ever need a tester to try out one of your new bags....PICK ME!! Hee, hee, hee!! I'd love to experiment with a new bag!!

Suz :)

>Can you stand some more feedback? I think I have probably
    >tried every bag out there at one time or another.
    >Here is what I have got to have:
    >
    >-Elastic Pockets on the inside, one insulated would be a plus
    >-Water-resistant nylon interior
    >-A few exterior pockets, including a long slip pocket on the
    >back of the bag and one for a cell phone
    >-Durable exterior fabric, I prefer something wipeable but
    >pretty or funky (I am not a sporty bag kind of gal)
    >-Feet on the bottom
    >-Adjustable strap, slightly padded or at least one that
    >doesn't dig into your shoulder
    >-Some kind of closure on top (Either zipper or flap with
    >magnetic snap. Got to keep the little hands out).
    >Mmm, that's all I can think of for now.
    >
    >Good Luck!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast