Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Looking for a larger changing pad

Does anyone make one large enough to protect the baby/toddler's whole body while changing in public? I am so not into putting her down on a changing table in public without a barrier there. I have a large pad that holds dipes and wipes but does not fit in any but the largest diaper bags. I was wondering if anyone makes a large one that folds up thin enough to fit into a regualr everyday bag. (think sling tote size)
    I could just use a blanket I guess, but that is not water proof etc. So a water proof sheet with no padding it what I am looking for.
    Does anyone find those tiny pads that come in the bags useful?
    Eden 9/04

ladybugmom6 Guest

Default RE: Looking for a larger changing pad

These are awesome, and it's a wonderful place to order from...great work and great customer service. I never found the pads that come with most bags useful either.

http://happytushies.com/store/catalo...3Fcategory%3D7

I second Happy Tushies. She will even custom make the length for you if needed. Joshua is 36" tall, and I asked her to make mine 37" long. She did, and only charged like $1 more for the added fabric I think.

Also, the changing pads in LE Do-It-All diaper bags are huge!

But what I like about the Happy Tushies one is it's so soft and flexible that it folds up much smaller to fit in a medium size bag (versus the LE pad which is so big and stiff it only fits in the DIA diaper bag.)
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

ladybugmom6 Guest

I just happened to stumble upon these today while shopping for diapers. Actually, a lot of the cloth diaper websites have the type of changing pads you're looking for, and a lot of the places will probably even customize the size if you ask them.

http://www.fuzzifannies.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=61

A couple of months ago I started using an extra large lap pad as my changing pad. It folds up small, is waterproof, is larger than most of the changing pads that come with the diaper bags, and is machine washable. This is really my preference now for all the reasons listed, although when DS was smaller I did prefer the more padded ones that came with the bags...but then again when he was smaller he fit better on the little ones.:-)

The best part was I didn't have to buy anything since I already had a couple of these pads layiny around.

I do have a couple of LE bags and I do love those chanign pads, but as a pp mentioned they aren't really practical to use in a different bag since they are so large.
    Julie
    SAHM Mom to Ryan (who just happens to have Prader-Willi Syndrome) 2/04
    www.pwsausa.org - Still Hungry For a Cure

Have you checked out the Patemm Pad? They come in 24" and 30" round sizes and fold up nicely. Lots of great patterns to choose from too. www.patemm.com

skipperlou Guest

Thanks to posters on this board, I now carry a disposable incontinence pad in my diaper bag for that exact use. They are huge unfolded to cover the whole changing table (you can buy them in several sizes) but I can fold one up into a sandwich bag for carrying in the diaper bag. A package of 20 only costs somewhere around $8 in CVS. They are soft cotton on one side and a waterproof plastic on the other. Just use it and throw it away. No need to carry germs back into your diaper bag! You can even put your regular changing pad on top of it if you want more cushioning for baby.

HTH!
    Lara

Rach3975 Guest

I embarked on the same search a few weeks ago, and I finally found something that works perfectly for me—oilcloth. It’s hard to describe exactly what it is, but it’s kind of a cross between fabric and vinyl. One of the changing pads for sale, I think the Patemn Pad, uses oilcloth for the top layer. Oilcloth doesn’t fray, so there’s no need to sew the edges. Just cut the fabric to the desired size and fold for your diaper bag. Oilcloth can’t be machine washed, but it easily wipes clean with a wipe or wet cloth.

I got a 1 yard piece from http://www.mendels.com/fabrics_oilcloth.html (about $12 including shipping), and it was large enough to cut into 2 changing pads, each one 36 x 23.

My oilcloth changing pads fold up smaller than anything else I’ve used, including the disposable Huggies pads and incontinence pads. I have the LE Little Tripper, and I can fit the oilcloth, 3 size 5 diapers, and a hard-sided wipes case in the largest mesh pocket.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You can buy "lap pad" material at JoAnns - it's the stuff that is flannel-like on the outside and has some sort of waterproof layer in the middle. If you have a 40% off coupon you could buy a yard for about $5 which should be plenty of material. Doesn't need sewn - just cut to the size you want. It is usually on rolls near the baby fabrics.

sunflowerseeds Guest

>I embarked on the same search a few weeks ago, and I finally
    >found something that works perfectly for me—oilcloth. It’s
    >hard to describe exactly what it is, but it’s kind of a
    >cross between fabric and vinyl. One of the changing pads for
    >sale, I think the Patemn Pad, uses oilcloth for the top layer.
    >Oilcloth doesn’t fray, so there’s no need to sew the
    >edges. Just cut the fabric to the desired size and fold for
    >your diaper bag. Oilcloth can’t be machine washed, but it
    >easily wipes clean with a wipe or wet cloth.
    >
    >I got a 1 yard piece from
    >http://www.mendels.com/fabrics_oilcloth.html (about $12
    >including shipping), and it was large enough to cut into 2
    >changing pads, each one 36 x 23.
    >
    >My oilcloth changing pads fold up smaller than anything else
    >I’ve used, including the disposable Huggies pads and
    >incontinence pads. I have the LE Little Tripper, and I can fit
    >the oilcloth, 3 size 5 diapers, and a hard-sided wipes case in
    >the largest mesh pocket.

Hi there, your info about oilcloth interests me very much...

I have some questions, did you layer the oilcloth with another cloth for your changing pad? Are you just using the oilcloth?
    And if you are just using the oil cloth, is there a right side up [meaning one side of the cloth for baby and the other for the floor/changing table? Is one side vinyl and the other cotton?] I hope that made sense.

How do you like using it? Is it too thin?

I would love to get this for a larger changing pad...and I'm also thinking about using more as a splat mat for DC's art easel. I looked online and there are some cute vintage patterns!

I'm glad I ran into this thread!!

Thanks in advance!
    Rachel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast