Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default me too....

When my DD was little, I used the same thing. But I would also reuse them by folding them with the dirty side all together and keeping the soft, clean side always the one facing the inside of the plastic bag I stored it in. That way I could use them a few times before throwing them away (I hate to generate trash any more than I have to since I use disposables!). I felt they were the perfect solution - and I loved the huge size! Now I rarely change my DD while we are out, but I now use a lap pad type thing like another poster recommended.

Jenny
    Mom to Julia, 8/03
    ...and another one due 5/29/06!

Rach3975 Guest

Default RE: Looking for a larger changing pad

Sorry it took me so long to answer you--my hard drive crashed and I was without a computer for a few weeks. If you're still interested, I use just the oilcloth. I wanted something that would fold as small as possible, so I didn't want to double the size by adding a 2nd layer of fabric. There is a right side up on the oilcloth. The right side is shiny and the pattern is darker, so you don't have to worry about keeping track of which side to put the baby on.

I'm still loving the oilcloth! I'm changing a toddler, so the lack of padding doesn't bother me. Then again, DS #2 is due in March, and I'm planning to use the oilcloth changing pad with him, too. Unlike a receiving blanket, the oilcloth really feels like a barrier between baby and any germs on the changing table, at least IMO, so the thinness of it isn't an issue there. My one complaint is that the back of the fabric slides against the changing table as opposed to gripping it and staying in place. The weight of my toddler holds it down, but I don't know for sure yet if the weight of an infant would be enough to hold it in place. The slip factor might also be a problem under an easel, unless it's on top of carpet or something else that it won't slip on. If it's on a floor, you might need one of those gripper things that they sell to keep area rugs from sliding.

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

ETA: I went to the fabric site you posted, so how much should I buy if I want to LARGE size pads? I'd like to do what you did also since I have 2 under 2 in diapers!

sunflowerseeds Guest

thanks for the reply. waiting was not a problem...it was good actually. I was tempted to buy all different kinds of designs/patterns in the oil cloth...for table covers, splat mat, changing pad, what not... [another site was selling it as bibs and aprons too] Waiting kind of cooled my spending engine down. =)

again thanks for your comments. I did buy some incontinence pads to try out and now I think I'll see about the oil cloth.

Best wishes to you and your upcoming baby!!

Rach3975 Guest

How much you should buy depends on how wide the fabric is and how large you want your changing pads. I bought 1 yard of fabric that was about 55 or 60 inches wide. From my 36 inch x 60 inch piece of fabric, I cut two 23x36 inch changing pads. With the amount of fabric I had, I could have cut them a little wider (though not longer), but I found that size fits better on most of the changing tables I use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2