Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kkae12 Guest

Default help with smaller diaper bag

Hi ladies,

I have not posted in a long time because I was forced to take a diaper bag break. Now that my daughter is 17 mos and I am not having another one anytime soon, I am looking for a smaller, yet organized bag. I would like it to be a messenger or shoulder bag. A backpack would be fine if it was also convertible.

Does anyone have any ideas for a bag that's not too sporty looking? It doesn't necessarily need to be a diaper bag, but it has to be organized.

Here is what I need to carry:

2 size 5 diapers
    disposable changing pad
    travel wipes case
    sippy cup (insulated holder would be a plus)
    a few snacks
    a small toy or two
    my things: wallet, chapstick, lipstick, keys

Does anyone know about the Silver Line Swagg? How about the So small by ju-ju be?

I am desperately seeking a new bag. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
    Allison

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: help with smaller diaper bag

Hi Allison-

I think this is a tough one. I am also looking for a smaller bag for quick trips. I have owned the JUJUBE Be Small for a very brief time. I found it to be too small to do much of anything with, honestly. It didn't have a cup holder of any kind. That was the biggest problem, I think. This means you always have to put the bottle/cups inside and you have to pack it "just so" so it doesn't tip over and spill all over everything else. This also means you are rearranging everything each time you have to put a cup in there as everything kind of falls over when you take the cup out. Unless your wallet is very small, I don't think all of this would fit in this bag. It does have a pocket in the front but it's not very deep. My wallet didn't fit in there. Maybe it wasn't too small but just not organized right for me.

I'm interested in the Swagg but don't have one yet. It seems like it would be the type of bag that you could stuff but also wouldn't look weird if you didn't have much in it that day. Let us know if you give this one a try. I know there are moms on the babybags board who have tried this one. There might be a review over there.

Good Luck!
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

ckleist Guest

How about a Donner by Overland Equipment? It is smaller than the LE LT and much lighter. I think it might be just big enough to hold what you need. It's not a pretty bag, more of a sporty bag, but cute. I know several mom's on babybags had one and liked it. The bottle holders are not insulated though.

http://www.ebags.com/overland_equipm...?modelid=19375

www.overlandequipment.com

callalillyanne Guest

The T&L Small Bebe is pretty (!!!) and has pretty decent organization. There is a bottle pocket, one large slip pocket, and then I think two elasticized pockets on the other side of the bag. Plus there are two outside slip pockets on the front, and then a zippered pocket on the back.

I pack pretty much what you do, and everything fits great with room to spare! I find it very comfortable on my shoulder with a nice strap drop too.

I have a Swagg, and even with as little as I pack it is a tight fit. I think that I need to master packing it for optimum space, though. There is a compartment in the back that houses a changing pad and you can fit a couple dipes, and maybe wipes. Then there is a main compartment that has a cup holder and I think a zippered pocket. The front pocket has an organizer and is like a mommy pocket. I bought a Fleurville wristlet that is nice and compact to put in this compartment. It works well.

I know some people have said the strap on the Swagg is a little long for them to wear it over the shoulder, but I personally don't mind. I haven't tried it in backpack mode yet, but it looks simple.

I HTH a little! I'll try to answer any other questions if you have them! ;)

I have the Ju-Ju-Be Be Smart and it is great for a small bag. It has lots of organization which is nice. Also I could take it without the kids and it does not look like a diaper bag.

Desirea

I second the recommendation of the Overland Equipment Donner! I have one and use it ALL the time. It's comfortable to wear and well organized.

Good luck in your search.

kkae12 Guest

Hi everyone,

Thanks SO much for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I was researching all the bags suggested and I have a few more questions:

Tani, thanks for the info on the Be Small. I definately wouldn't like to set up the bag again everytime I took something out. Thanks for the help.

1. Overland: CKleiest/Jeminaal: Thanks for the suggestion. I really like the Donner (it looks organized from the picture)however, it looks really big on the model, is it? Would the Lole bag or Austin be too small?

2. Timi and Leslie small: Anne, does it have a zipper on the top? Also, do you find things are harder to reach b/c it's tall? I've never had a tall bag. Lastly, does it hang on the shoulder?

Swagg- Anne, does the shoulder strap not adjust? Could it hang on the stroller? Is the bottle holder insulated inside?

3. Ju-ju Be Smart- Desirea, can you carry it on your shoulder? I'm assuming it probably couldn't hang on your stroller.

Lastly, what do you guys think about the Lexie Barnes bags. The darling looks small and so do their totes. I'm not sure about the strap for the totes, though. After being away from this board for a couple months I come back and read about bags I don't remember seeing before- like a kid in the candy store.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
    Allison

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I like my Swagg a lot! I use it as a quick trip bag for my 2 in diapers. If you take out the changing pad and use a disposable one, you'll have a lot more space, imo.

I have in mine:

2 diapers (1 size 4, 1 size 1-2)
    disposable changing pad
    huggies travel wipes case
    sippy cup
    bottle
    occasionally an 8-oz RTF Similac can
    fleurville wristlet
    phone
    keys
    sunglasses
    coupons
    pen
    lip balm

I think that's it! I love that I can keep the diaper things not only separate, but also zippered, so even if I'm out by myself, no one needs to know that it's a diaper bag.

H-
    Heather
    dd 3/98
    ds 8/04
    dd 11/05

>1. Overland: CKleiest/Jeminaal: Thanks for the suggestion.
    >I really like the Donner (it looks organized from the
    >picture)however, it looks really big on the model, is it?

Hi Allison,

Just checked the picture. It does look big on her, doesn't it? IMO, I think the model might be on the petite side, LOL! It truly doesn't look that big when I wear it, but then again, I'm not exactly what you call a thin person (I'm average weight and height, whatever that means). It also looks from the picture that the bag is stuffed to its maximum. While I don't usually stuff the Donner to its capacity, it probably would look like that if I did.

Anyway, here are the dimensions of the bag:

9.5� x 7� x 4�

As posted above, Ebags sells the Donner and the customer reviews of the bag might help you decide.

http://www.ebags.com/overland_equipm...estimonialJump

Edited to add: Forgot that a PP already posted the link to ebags. Sorry!

And if you happen to have an REI near where you live, you can check it out IRL. That's where I purchased mine.

HTH!

callalillyanne Guest

>2. Timi and Leslie small: Anne, does it have a zipper on the
    >top? Also, do you find things are harder to reach b/c it's
    >tall? I've never had a tall bag. Lastly, does it hang on the
    >shoulder?
    >
    >Swagg- Anne, does the shoulder strap not adjust? Could it
    >hang on the stroller? Is the bottle holder insulated inside?
    >
    >Lastly, what do you guys think about the Lexie Barnes bags.
    >The darling looks small and so do their totes. I'm not sure
    >about the strap for the totes, though. After being away from

Hi again Allison!

To answer your questions:

The T&L Small Bebe doesn't have a zipper on the top. It has a snap closure at the top. There is a zippered pocket on the back of the bag near the top, though. Honestly, the tallness of the bag hasn't bothered me thus far. The organization is good so that keeps little things out of the way, plus I use cosmetic bags to organize so that helps, too. It hangs on the shoulder really nicely, IMO. I am really happy with the strap drop length.

The strap on the Swagg adjusts quite a bit! But when it is adjusted to the smallest it will go, it is longer than most straps when they are adjusted to the smallest setting, KWIM? It hasn't bothered me, since I like a longer shoulder strap in the first place. Oh, and the strap I think would easily hang over the stroller when adjusted ;)

The Lexie Barnes Darling would probably be a nice size for you, too. It is a little bigger than the T&L Small and definitely bigger than the Swagg. The nice part about the Darling I think is that you can carry very little in it and it doesn't look funny, IYKWIM. It's just a very nice bag- the laminate coating on the fabric doesn't make it stiff- it's very soft and flexible. Fun prints, too!

The Lexie Barnes totes hold a lot more than you would think, also. I have a picture of one packed, PM me if you'd like to see ;) I think the strap drop is really nice on these two, it sits really well on the shoulder, and has no slip straps! The newer version of the tote has a nice nylon bottom, too.

I HTH! It's fun deciding, isn't it? :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast