Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default why are shopping cart covers so expensive?

been shopping around and researching these boards and i was shocked to see how expensive they are. are they really worth the price?

thanks.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: why are shopping cart covers so expensive?

Yes, they are worth it! Do you really want your DC sitting on a grocery cart seat where someone had put a package of leaky raw chicken? Or touch a cart handle that someone with a cold just rubbed snot on?
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

i paid $40 for mine at BRU, a little high but not bad. is that about the price range? i really think it's worth it, i'm not a big germ phobe person, but carts kinda gross me out.

Try the Original Clean Shopper -- not as expensive as the others, isn't HUGE and bulky to carry around, full coverage, decent pading, easy to use (I have two more expensive ones, and then got this one).

Only $20, not bad!

http://kirstensgi12095.goeserv.com/i...art_Covers.htm

winterbaby Guest

I was given the floppy seat from BRU at my shower. it's not as fashionable as some of the others but it works fine (wouldn't go without one). maybe try ebay? I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it...i mean how long is your baby going to be in the cart anyway? to me it wasn't worth paying extra $$ to make a fashion statement :)

AbbieF Guest

I had one made and its worth every penny. Not only are carts gross- raw meats, people who don't wash their hands, but also babies w/ colds and messy diapers that leak. Plus I love the pockets on mine for her sippy cup. I can also use my cart cover as a cover for the square wood high chairs at restaurants. Not only does it make it more comfortable but think of all the kids w/ colds etc... that have sat in those. You know those have never been cleaned. If you break it down to a per use fee it amounts to pennies.

Abbie
    Mom to Maddie 04/04 and Kate 01/06

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You'd be surprised at how long your kiddo will be in a cart! LOL My son is 2 1/2 and still sits in the cart when I do grocery shopping. There's no way he would walk next to me as I shopped -- he would just run off. I expect him to be in the cat until he's probably 4 or 5 years old (although we wouldn't be using the cart cover at that point).

I start using a cart cover with both kids at about 5 months of age. I also use it in restaurant high chairs -- those wooden seats don't seen very comfortable, and who knows when they were last cleaned.

I'm not a germaphobe either but carts and high chairs are known for having ridiculously high amount of eColi bacteria (saw it on a news program).

*Edited to fix spelling error
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

You'd be suprised at how many grocery carts are missing their seat belts. Most covers should have a belt to attach it to the cart and one to strap DC in. It seems like every time I decide to run in without the cover I end up going back out to the car for it because none of the carts have belts.

Just another reason I like our cover!

I am surprised at how many people think they are essential. Personally, I think they are a pain in the rear. I would always forget mine in the car and have to go back for it. It's a pain to put on while you are holding baby. For me, there was only a couple month period when my DS was still not sitting well yet to help prop him up in the cart. You could also prop the baby up with blankets. I am not a germaphobe, but I still try to wipe down the cart with antibacterial wipes before putting him in. Many stores offer wipes now. I had a cheapie one from BRU (15.00 or so) but still for the price I paid, it wasn't worth it.
    Marie
    Mommy to Ty, 3 and Natalie, 1

thanks for all the input. I am not a germophobe either, but I do like the idea that you can use these for the cart AND highchair.

I was just a little surprised at the prices of the more cushy ones being sold, and knowing me, if I had to carry one more thing on my shoulder I wouldn't carry it around. Again, thanks for the input and I'll look into those recs!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast