Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: why are shopping cart covers so expensive?

I personally don't think they are all that expensive. For me, I've spent ~$50 on useless things before. My shopping cart cover is seriously one of my MOST used baby items. I use it more than my stroller most weeks! It depends on your lifestyle, and where you shop of course, but I could not live without my cart cover. IMO it's been money well spent! I know I've bought countless items of clothing for more than $50 that I've only worn once.....I have used my cart cover 3-4 times a week for about 8 months now! At the $45 I paid, and with it's continued use, that's pennies per use. Definitely worth it to me!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yesterday it was 102 degrees here in my part of So. CA! I took DD grocery shopping with me. I was so thankful to have my shopping cart cover with me because all the grocery stores here store their carts outside so they get very hot in the summer. The cover kept DD from having to sit on the hot plastic seat.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Looks like Sewcute is back up and running

http://www.sewcuteboutique.com/default.html

Tanya Guest

At my baby shower, I got a cover from BRU that didn't cover the whole seat. I used it maybe once and thought it was a waste and gave it to charity.

Then I bought one (the kind that covers the whole area) for my daughter and LOVED it. We used it from when she was about 6 months old until around 18 months every time we had a shopping cart. Then she wanted to walk a bit, then she wanted to ride in the car carts. I got a good year out of the cover though and have never regretted it even a minute. Sure, it would have been nice if she'd still be that perfect little rider strapped into a nice clean cover instead of me having to try to wipe down the various surfaces of the icky car carts. And did I mention how much *I* loved having the cover over the cart handle for ME?
    I just keep mine in the back of the minivan and would just pull it out whenever I needed it. It's still back there for the times when I get to use it again...and I'm pregnant with #2, so mine will get used again.

Something that has totally always grossed me out is kids eating while sitting in shopping carts without the covers. Ewww ewww ewww! All those germs going straight into the kid's mouth with the food.

Anyway, after LOVING my shopping cart cover, I wanted my friends to have one too. However, they are expensive. So, I decided to make my own. Well, I'm thrifty and even using 40% off coupons on all the different materials (plus I buy the clearance fabrics or at least the least expensive 100% cottons) I need to make a shopping cart cover, I'm lucky if I can make one for $20 in materials (I even make 2 at a time generally so that I can get the most out of the fabric). Add in all the time it takes me to put it all together and I completely understand why they are so expensive. In fact, I've had many people suggest that I make them and sell them and I seriously do NOT believe I'd profit. It's just too labor intensive. I can sew other things so much faster. The cart covers take so long for me that I don't even enjoy doing them anymore. I need to make one for a friend that had her baby in May and I keep procrastinating.

Tanya

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5