brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Xpost-diaper bag for infant and toddler, cloth diapering, slinging mama

I've searched the archives, I swear :)

I am pretty much a packing minimalist. We started w/ a LE original style DIA bag with DS when he was a young infant and eventually moved on to a LE Little Tripper (yes I'm boring LOL) which I've been using for most of DS's 2 plus years.

We cloth diper DS. He is working on potty learning, but is nowhere close to being (tmi) poop trained (due to some constipation issues that are finally resolving after a year, and I'm not about to push the issue in light of that) and will pee consistently in his little potty at home, but will not yet pee on a big potty (even w/ insert), definitely not in public, and only when he's naked (if he has a dipe on he just goes in it, without mentioning he has to pee). So I am not sure if we'll still be CDing when we have our second babe, but I'll still need to carry an extra change of clothes for him and possibly a foldable potty insert seat.

I have thought about doing a backpack this time to be more hands free, but I'm not sure I'll like a backpack while slinging. I have a mei tei and also a pouch and 2 ring slings. With the mei tei I could probably do a backpack but I anticipate using my other slings too. I need to try a backpack with DS in the sling and see how I feel about that. I've read/heard mixed things about that.

I know a lot of people like messenger style bags. I guess they are more "flat" in shape then my LE DIA, so maybe it wouldn't be as annoying to carry sort of behind my body?

I'm also looking at a one shoulder style backpack. There is the Healthy Back Diaper bag (I've seen pics online of this being worn behind the body, diagonally, which would work with slinging I *think*).
    http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/health...?modelid=18559

Some of the one-shoulder ones i've seen recommended here and at MDC for slinging are no longer made. I did see these:
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/JAN...1650cu-in.html

They both are obviously pretty small though. I'd be okay with just keeping the car stocked, but then I wonder if I'm going to buy a small bag that isn't going to hold everything, should I just suck it up and use what I already have (LE DIA or LT) thrown over my shoulder and behind me? Hopefully I won't need to carry that much stuff for DS#1 for that long, and before long I might be ready to use a small bag primarily holding only #2's stuff?

Would a messenger like the Timbuk2 bags be that much more comfy than lugging around my big ole LE DIA (that hasn't seen much action in a long time) thrown over my shoulder diagonally?

Any suggestions?
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

chubbycheeks Guest

Default RE: Xpost-diaper bag for infant and toddler, cloth diapering, slinging mama

You may want to look into the Lexie Barnes Darling. I have one in stealth (Black). I CD as well and have two kids, and it works well for me. You can fit a lot into it, much more than I thought at first. Plus its lightweight and has a nice comfy strap. It's bigger than the LT for sure, but no where near the size of the DIA. It has two outer cup holders for sippys and a water bottle for yourself. It's a well made bag, and you can find them new for about $70 shipped through the Babybags retailers. And, if you don't find you like it, they are very popular, so you should have no trouble re-selling! HTH a little.

Rach3975 Guest

Default RE: Xpost-diaper bag for infant and toddler, cloth diapering, slinging mama

I definitely prefer messenger bags under my pouch, and I use the same bags messenger or tote style under my mei tai. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 mo old. I used the LE LT before my 2nd child was born, and it's still my all time favorite bag. I find it too small for every day use with 2; for that I like the Skip Hop Duo. Personally, though, I find the Duo too heavy to keep on my shoulder for an extended time while wearing a child. When I'm wearing one of the kids and know I'll need to carry the diaper bag (as opposed to sticking it in a shopping cart or stroller), I switch to the LT or another small bag.

Beth,

I have a SHDuo that I'm not crazy about. I don't consider myself a heavy packer but the bag is always overflowing. You can't put much into it and still get it closed. Now that I need to carry toys for DS, there's no room. I already can't close the top and I only carry 4/5 sposies with me along with 1 cloth dipe for burps.

I just ordered both a LE backpack and a mei tai. I already have a ring sling that I've been using and probably will continue to use. I'm looking forward to being able to throw the backpack on without the contents falling out.

Will let you know what I think next week sometime.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 02-28-2010 at 02:05 AM.