Default KY Jelly instead of vaseline for thermometer lubricant???

Pretty embarrassing, but do you think it's safe to use KY Jelly instead of petroleum jelly to lubricate the tip of a rectal thermometer when taking a baby's temperature? DH and I actually have some Astroglide gel, a "personal" lubricant, around the house and were wondering if this was a safe alternative to lubricating a rectal thermometer for an infant. I've never liked Vaseline, and I can't think of any other uses around the house for it. Astroglide gel, on the other hand, can be used with feminine products and such. Likewise, do you think it would be weird to use the gel instead of Vaseline in diaper changes on a circumcized infant? My girlfriend just had her son circumcized and her ped told her to put a lubricant such as Vaseline on the tip to prevent painful friction. Does it make sense as an adequate substitution???

I'm open to suggestions and input, no matter how weird this topic may be.....

Default RE: KY Jelly instead of vaseline for thermometer lubricant???

I think you'd be totally fine with either of these, but you may want to ask the peditrician to be 100%. I think those lubricants are usually more pure than even vaseline but just to be safe, I'd check- esp when using a lot, like in the case of the circumcism.

Amy

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was a weirdo. I will be sure to check with the ped before using it....but it sounds like such a great use of these products. I mean, Astroglide was invented by NASA engineers to withstand high heat, friction, and abraision in space. I think this would be perfect for protecting a young boy's fragile "parts" in a diaper and for thermometer use. I'll get back to you if I hear anything from a Dr.

hovegator Guest

It's fine. i am a NICU nurse and that is what we use for thermometers in ALL of the hospitals i've ever worked in in the last 12 years!

lisajb Guest

Not only is it fine, but if you look at the directions for your thermometer you may in fact find that it instructs to use a non-petroleum lubricant for your baby! I was surprised when I saw that on a newly purchased thermometer and went a bit nuts at first trying to find something....until DH thought of the KY.

I also have 'unpetroleum' on hand- you can buy it a whole foods, etc-
    it's like vaseline but w/o the petroleum :)
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06