Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Cord Blood Banking?

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wait! I'm late to the party. Two years ago when I was pregnant with my son, I tore my hair out with frustration over the lack of consumer information about cord blood banking. I was just apalled at what was available. Which was almost nothing. Once you make the choice to bank privately, then it's a quesiton of with whom, and they're all businesses, and they all want you to go to them. I was just beside myself. But I clawed my way thru all the info, and I've memorialized the experience with fact, my opinion, and what we did and why at this post here --> http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search

If that link doesn't work, the post is called "Cord Blood Banking - My Experience," and it's posted in 3 different forums.

We did bank privately, and I think we would again. We did this becuase ther is always a chance that it could help our son or any siblings that he may have. However, public donation is also a great thing, and it's something we may do in the future. It is FREE and while it won't help your child, it could always help others.

One day, cord blood banking will be a free service of hospitals, like blood banking, I am quite sure. There's alot of misinformation about it (largely due to the private banks and marketing, whether intentional or not), and there are alot of false assumptions, too. Whatever you do, it will be the right choice. As long as you're educated about it and can make an informed choice, then that's the right one for you.

Very best of luck to you!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DH and talked about this one for a while too. In the end we decide not to because 1) it IS very expensive, and there hasn't been enough research to show this is actually effective 2) There are public cord banks already, so 3) you can always donate your cord blood to the public bank. Which suddenly reminds me that we forgot to put that in our birth plan! Oh well, next time.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Actually, there have been several successful transplants of stem cells from cord blood by both Viacord and CBR. I don't know if they were for the donor or a family member, but they have definitely happened (my previous post has a link that explains this in more detail).

I see the main difference between private and public as insurance vs. gene pool. Privately banking cord blood is blood that belongs to you and only to you and can only be used for you and/or your designates (who match). Genetic problems render it useless, yes, but other things can be addressed with it, or issues with other family members. Public banking adds to the pool of available stem cells for use by society. Once you donate, it's gone and not "owned" by you anymore. But it gives other people who may need a stem cell transplant the opportunity to be a match -- like a blood bank or organ donation registry.

They're both good. I wish that all people who choose not to bank privately donated publicly. It's free, and it takes almost no additional effort once a mother's delivered. Maybe one day, we'll get there!

mik8 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I know there are so many argumentative points on this matter. Ultimately, you and your hubby will have the final word. That being said, we didn't opt for this. My DH is a molecular geneticist and works also in the hematology division and it was a mutual consensus for us based on current science info. available. I do highly suggest to donate the cord blood.

How does one donate cord blood to the public? Do I just ask? Who do I ask? My ob-gyn? Some cord blood bank? When? My child will probably be an only, but it seems a shame to waste anything that could potentially help someone else.

mommyj_2 Guest

Some hospitals don't allow donations to public banks. We looked into this, and our hospital didn't allow it. I thought it was strange, because it's one of the best hospitals in our area.

mik8 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Cool, thanks!

Make sure to ask for the donation kit to be mailed to you well in advance, like couple months before your due date. I did not and it was not enough time to get it to me on time so we did not donate. Also, I got an impression that the donation would cost me a bit extra, I don't remember anymore who would charge me, my OB (for collection) or the hospital.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2