Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cord blood?

Default RE: Cord blood?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta wrote a small article about his and his wife's choice regarding this matter for Time Magazine a couple issues back. Though I can't remember all the facts he sited, I do remember that they decided to NOT bank cord blood, but to make the free donation. Maybe you can search for the article, as it was short but interesting.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We did, but DS is at a higher risk of needing it due to our family history (waaay too much leukemia for anyone's liking). We used Cord Blood Registry (CBR) though it was a toss-up between them and Viacord (we'll likely use Viacord for the next baby).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My MW said our local Donation hospital is full and no longer accepting donations. =(
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We looked into it and chose not to do it. I wasn't convinced by the data out there and didn't like the way the advertising takes advantage of parental fears. I don't mean to offend anyone who did bank. It's a very personal decision that each parent has to make based on what they believe is best for their child.

I wanted to donate the cord blood, but our hospital doesn't participate in that. In the end we delayed cutting the cord until all the blood pumped into the baby.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2