Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CBB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Opinions on saving cord blood

I'm wondering what you guys think about saving cord blood. Did you or are you planning on doing it?

Thanks,
    Li
    Baby Jasmine 3/18/04
    Baby Justin 9/18/07

mamahill Guest

Default RE: Opinions on saving cord blood

I didn't do it. My BIL is a high-risk OB for one of the most prestigious practices in the country and he said that the cord blood bank stuff is mostly a financial drain. There haven't been enough studies yet to prove that it's worthwhile, and in the meantime, you're paying a lot of money JUST in case something happens and JUST in case this actually works.

It's up to the individual, but having heard him say that, I opted out. Also, I should point out that he is married to DH's sister who has had cancer FOUR times (leukemia twice, melanoma, and most recently, a squamous cell carcinoma on her tongue). It's a miracle that she is alive. And still, BIL recommended not banking the blood. So it's not like he doesn't know what a serious illness can do.

hobey Guest

We didn't save Nathan's cord blood since the chance of something happening where we may need it are relatively small. We did donate his cord blood though.

Raquel
    Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

brubeck Guest

My understanding (and perhaps I am wrong here) is that it mostly helps out a sibling and not the child from whom the blood came. All of the 'miracle' cases you hear of are just that: elder child has disease and new baby's cord blood cured them. We didn't think the cost was worth it for this rare circumstance.

MinnieMouse Guest

We opted to allow the cord to stop pulsing before cutting it, thus all the blood was to go to Beth instead of being stored or donated. But Beth's cord was short and wrapped around her neck so it was cut before she was even fully delivered... so neither was an option.

Christine

nathansmom Guest

We donated Nathan's blood. Hopefully we helped someone.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We banked Colin's cord blood. There is a strong history of leukemia among the men in both DH's and my families, and for other genetic reasons that would rather not discuss. We do not regret doing it.

If you do not bank your baby's blood, at least donate it - it is free and no risk to you or your baby, so why not take the chance that it will help someone?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

We donated Matthew's cord to the Duke bank. It was easy enough and only required me to give some blood for testing and a few papers to fill out. While it was a hassle at the time (the nurse kept coming around at the few times I was able to rest after my c-section) it was worth it. However, I did find out later on that there is some print on there regarding them being able to copyright the dna, etc.. I was just told this so I am looking into it now. Even if this is true, I hope that we were able to help someone, even if it is through research.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We did not for pretty much the same reasons that Sarah mentioned. I did some research and talked to my OB about it, and came to the conclusion that it was not worth it for us.

Carmen

nyc mom Guest

DH has now been treated twice for Hodgkins and in the last round had a stem cell transplant (his 100-day test from last week was all clear!). I think it's enough to make us want to bank (expecting 3/17). What company did you use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast