Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Cord Blood Banking

The only other reason to consider banking your cord blood is if you are of African, Hispanic, or Aisan descent - the reason for this is that these groups represent the smallest percentage of people who are on the National Bone Marrow Registry - it can be quite difficult to find a match for these ethnic groups. Of course, the odds that your child would ever need a bone marrow transplant or cord blood transfusion are extremely remote. If your family does not have much of a cancer risk, particularly for childhood cancers like leukemia, it is probably not worth the expense. Good luck!
    -Lauren

Dcclerk is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Although we are in the minority, we decided to bank the blood. A lot of peds in our area recommend it (Los Angeles) and my DH did a lot of research and decided that it was worth it even with the very long shot. (FWIW, he's a doctor but not in OB or PEDs.) We are going with Cryo-Cell which is the one that Heidi recommended above because it was the cheapest and other doctors seemed to think it had a good reputation. Here is a link to their website:
    http://www.cryo-cell.com/

Good luck on your decision!

Kerry
    Due in 2 days but the kid shows no sign of coming...

I checked into it and I think you are too late. We had to have at least a 6 week lead time. I was going to donate it, but I lost the first set of paperwork (which I still haven't found!) and didn't finish refilling it out the second time in time. This is again playing the odds. Is there a history of cancer etc. in your family? If so I would be inclined to spend the money. If not, let someone else use it.

Karin
    Katie 10/24/02
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

nofeea is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

If you're still interested, it may not be too late. I know that Via- Cord will do your paperwork with you over the phone if necessary. They can also Overnight the cord collection kit to you if you need it immediately. (You need to bring it to the hospital with you when you deliver.) Now you just have to decide if you want to do it... If you do it's probably possible. Here's a link to Via-cord- their Phone # is on their web-site if you want to ask them any questions.
    http://www.viacord.com/home/home.asp

Good luck deciding! I couldn't decide either but finally did it because I figured 'better safe than sorry'. Also, I used Via-cord because they had the kit picked up at the hospital after delivery- some other companies want you to take care of sending it out yourself and I didn't want to have to think about any of those details. Good Luck!

We have friends who banked the cord because she had cancer and is healthy now but just in case...We donated our cord to the Duke bank when Matthew was born...nothing but a bit of paperwork and blood work on me...I say donate it unless you have some hereditary disease or other issue in your family's health history...GOOD LUCK on your upcoming birth :)
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

brooke2003 Guest

I just did a rush for my kit from cryo-cell.org- It's 50$ extra, but they will overnight the kit to you....HTH

Brooke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2