Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Introduction

hjdong Guest

Default RE: Introduction

Hi - We're using Holt International - which someone mentioned earlier in the postings. One of the things we've really liked about them is that they can do everything in California. I know many, many people that have a seperate homestudy and adoption agency, but it was really nice to have one company do everything.

They are a big company (as adoption agencies go). I like this and it's specifically one of the reasons we chose them. Thye also don't do a lot of handholding (although very helpful when you need them), which I also like. Some people are more comfortable with a smaller agency that will check on you much more consistently. I have found that their attitudes mirror mine and I have really enjoyed working them. I would recommend them whole heartedly. But I would also say, which I didn't realize when I started looking for an agency, is that different agencies have different personalities, and it's important to find one that you are comfortable with.

Take care,

Mary:

One of my former co-workers son was adopted through an open adoption. I believe her son is around 8 or 9 now. She had asked the family who adopted her son to adopt him and they would only adopt him through an open adoption. The last I heard from her she said that she would like to write a book about open adoption with some other women who also are birth mom in an open adoption.

My friend really opened my eyes about adoption and open adoption. While her son does call her mom too, and she does visit them quite often she knows that the adoptive parents are truly his parents. Her situation seemed so ideal.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

liya Guest

Add me to your list gals....As you all may know from former threads i was diagnosed at a very young age as not being able to have kiddos...My Arian is my miracle but DH and I have always talked about adoption as our option...I have half and over and its in polycystic condion..We will never unravel the mystery of how I got pregnant but i did..Now since we know that there may not be another miracle we are considering the fact of adoption more and more...

We are waiting at the moment to become more economically stable and at least waiting on a couple more years but all this info you have provided has been very helpfull in our quest for information...

spence1 Guest

It was very interesting/educational to read your post. I've always been a little suspicious of the popularity Asian adoptions seem to have altely because I know there are so many AA children available here in the states. I always felt, wanting a child to look like you makes sense to me, but if that isn't a concern, why wouldn't oyu give a home to a needy child from this country instead of going to Asia? I always assumed that there was some underlying racist feeling that made people prefer an Asian child over an AA child. I didn't know that some places were already disallowing cross-racial adoptions, even though I knew some were considering it. It's really a shame. It's better to be loved by parents of a different race than none at all.

Anyway, you have opened my eyes!

masblooms Guest

I think there is some truth in what you are saying. We are adopting transracially this time (African American) and several times people have asked me (after learning about our adoption plans) why we weren't adopting from China instead. While that could have just been an interesting question, I could tell from the tone that it seemed to apply that a child from China was better than an AA child.

I truly don't mean to offend anyone here. I don't think that everyone is called to adopt, and I think that if you are, you need to take whatever journey you are lead to, to unite with the child that you were meant to be with! We have several friends who did adopt from China, and now have the perfect family (for them.)

I do sadly, however, think that prejudice is still alive and well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3