Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    holliam Guest

Default RE: How did you get started?

Read "The Lost Daughters of China". It's a personal account but includes a lot of historial and current events type info about China's child policies, etc. It's an excellent book.

That book is what makes me think I still have a daughter waiting for me in China. We are working with Guatemala on our first adoption (in process) for many reasons, but I keep thinking we might really need to work with China for a future one.

Holli

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We used Small Miracles International for our Guatemalan adoption in 2001. They only deal with Guatemala and do two medical missions a year which is nice to give back to the country. They are a small agency that really cares.

We are now in the process of a China adoption using FTIA. (Families thru International Adoption) They are medium sized but the information they give you as well as your dossier guide is awesome. Very through. You can check out their website, www.ftia.org to compare all the different country's programs.
    HTH,
    Michele

I really liked Wuhu Diaries.

hjdong Guest

Passages from the Heart (I think that's the title) is a collection of essays from people who have adopted from China. I really enjoyed it.

We first picked an adoption agency -- America World Adoption Assocation -- www.awaa.org . They are wonderful!!!! We heard about them on K-LOVE (Christian radio) & requested their info. Their video was sooo moving! Everything is done from the perspective that God is in control -- it's awesome!

We wanted to use them & thus had 3 country choices. We decided upon Russia. It wasn't a long decision process for us & I don't have concrete answers why we chose Russia, but we know it's right for us -- and the bottom line is that we prayed about it a lot & felt that Russia is where God was leading us. :)

I still wonder about adopting from China someday, but I don't know a lot about trans-racial adoptions at this point. Also, we're planning to emphasize Russian culture & teach as much of the language as possible...so it might be nice to adopt both children from Russia so they share that common heritage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2