Default Parenting book for multiracial families

Hi, I am not an adoptive mom, so maybe this topic is old news or of little interest. Nevertheless, I am the mother of a biracial child, and there is a pretty good book available for families who are various races due to adoption or interracial marriages. It's called "Does Anybody Else Look Like Me? A Parent's Guide to Raising Multiracial Children" by Donna Jackson Nakazawa. For anyone wanting more information, there is also a good panel interview with the author and others archived on the Ntl. Public Radio website, or at least there was in fall 2003.

I found it difficult to find a parenting book on this topic as opposed to a sociological treatise, so I was happy to find this book. If you doubt that you will need this book, well, wait until the first "Oh, she doesn't even look Chinese/black/Hispanic" comment and then imagine what kids will be asking and saying when your child enters school. You need to have a response.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Default RE: Parenting book for multiracial families

Thanks for sharing the title, Karen. I'll definitely look for it!

As for resources with the adoption angle: I liked "Inside Transracial Adoption" by Gail Steinberg and Beth Hall and "Are those Kids Yours" by Cheri Register. But, as you said - they are more sociology than parenting in my opinion.

There's a great on-line resource with an on-line "class" called Conspicuous Families that I found really informative. The url is: www.adoptionlearningpartners.org

Thanks again for the info!

Kimberly H Guest

Karen, thanks for the book info! I'm always up for a good parenting and/or adoption book. Adding it to my Amazon wishlist now...

smkinc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Kristin and Karen,

Thanks for the info. The only book I read on your list is "Inside Transracial Adoption", and would reccomend it to anyone considering a trans-racial adoption.

Mary
    Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03
    and our 'first' Curie (6 year old Golden Retriever)