Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Book or Website Recommendations

Hi there -

My husband and I have talked for a while about adopting a child overseas, and even though this won't be for several more years, I'd like to get a head start on research.

I've got a handle on the adoption requirements, etc, and don't have a problem finding resources for that aspect. What I'm wondering about is what happens once you get the child home. Like.. what issues should I expect.

To be specific, we'd probably be looking to adopt a toddler (1-3) from Africa. We're caucasian, and will probably have another biological child in addition to Colwyn by the time we're ready to adopt.

Any books or websites that deal with what to expect post-adoption? I don't want to make the decision to adopt without reading up on that part of it.

Thanks!

Kimberly H Guest

Default RE: Book or Website Recommendations

Rachel,

I can't help you personally but I'd definitely look into Internet groups, such as Yahoo Groups.

I would imagine some of the issues/potential issues, like attachment issues, would be the same as other countries simply because the child is an orphan. Others would be more situation-specific like possible malnutrition, exposure to diseases, etc.

I'll do some snooping around and see what I can find.

hjdong Guest

Jamie was 18 mo. when we adopted him. Some books I read were Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft by Mary Hopkins-Best and Attaching in Adoption by Deborah Gray. Neither are specific to any country. Toddler Adoption is kind of a "worst case scenario." O.K. not kind of, definately. But for me, it was kind of reassuring that the challenges did not seem overwhelming. I have to say, I haven't consulted it at all since Jamie's been home, but it was a good resource when we were deciding on a toddler.

I know that there are books specific to Multi-cultural adoption, but I'm afraid I can't really help you there. Wasn't there a thread on that recently here?

HTH

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would recommend subscribing to Adoptive Familes and Adoption Today magazines. Adoption Today always has good articles about transracial adoption. Are Those Kids Yours by Cheri Register sp? is also very good. You need to go online to find most books. The library and book stores just don't carry that much. Join some email groups. Do a searh on Yahoo groups based on country or transracial or attaching in adoption.
    Michele

There's an on-line education resource: www.adoptionlearningpartners.org that has a great module called "Conspicuous Families" That you might want to check out. I've also liked the book "Inside Transracial Adoption", you can find lots of great books at www.tapestrybooks.com or www.adoptshoppebooks.com.

Good Luck!

:) Kristin
    Adopting #1 from Korea
    It's a Boy! Theo was born 1/12/2004!
    Awaiting his safe arrival home

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The website www.adoption.com has lots of info for both domestic and international adoptions, as well as forums to ask questions. I have found it to be a great resource.
    Traci