Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adoption costs

jubilee Guest

Default Adoption costs

OK, I hope this doesn't sound wrong- but is there a way to get a "bargain" adoption? The little I've read seems to show that adoptions are so expensive that I'll never be able to afford to adopt. If I choose to have another child, I'd actually prefer to adopt a toddler rather than conceive, but like I said the costs would probably overwhelm us. Can anyone give me info or websites that fully disclose the costs of adoption (domestic or international)?

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default RE: Adoption costs

I could type a a huge book on Indy adoptions in Ukraine, Indy is a method standing for independent and thus not using an agency. I know Ukraine allows Indy adoptions (actually once on their turf that is all that is allowed agencies can only help on this end)...and I don't know what other countries allow Indy but I think there are about two others.

Indy adoptions cut out the agency. Speaking for Ukraine an agency hires a facilitator in Ukraine to help (a must) couples adopt...via my research on the internet I have hired the facilitator that many of these agencies hire. So I have cut out a huge middle man, and also get my info directly from the cats mouth and don't have an agency telling me what they want me to hear.

I have a huge thread on Ukraine INDY adoption so it is a great place to start if that ever interest you.

There is a tax credit of $10,160 per child adopted which means you get that back in taxes...I wrote up a thread on that to if you search the archives in the lounge as of the past month I believe.

Again it is lengthy to explain but my thread if that option interest you is a good one to start...

Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There is a book called Passages From The Heart which is a collection of articles reprinted from FCC newsletters. (Families with Children from China). In it, there is several articles on budgeting and costs of adoption. Also, remember you are paying for services rendered. If you do an independent adoption, nothing is set and you are left alone in a foreign country. An agency works for you. You do not have to pay all at once. Many banks offer adoption loans. I know BB&T does for one. Research agencies. Research countries. Guatemala and Korea cost more for adoption because the children are in foster care. There is the tax credit as Neve mentioned but you only receive it after the adoption is complete which could be up to a year later. Many people fundraise for their own adoption. Start with adoption websites like Rainbow Kids or FCC. There are plenty of books in the library or bookstore. Nothing is impossibe.
    Michele
    DD #2 adopted from Guatemala
    DD #3 waiting in China

Edited to add: I have read up on Ukraine's adoption process after Neve's response and do stand corrected that agencies are not allowed in the Ukraine process. However, agencies do have contacts like translators and facilitators that they can refer you to. Having an agency refer you, you would be insured of the reputation and integrity of the person in the Ukraine. That is similar to Guatemala where private attorneys actually arrange the adoption throught the court process.

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

well different countries I can only assume are different so I will say right out that I only know about Ukraine...but the above is totally incorrect in Ukraine for agencies are not even allowed to work in Ukriane, so if one hires them they are only good here so the "you are left alone in a foreign couyntry" couldn't be further from the case IN UKRAINE. Granted if you chose not to hire somone that would be the case but I feel safe to say you'd come home empty handed too...

ALSO and only speaking of which I know...in Ukraine your adoption is finalized there in country so tax credits apply the year you adopt...

Again I am only speaking of Ukraine...
    Neve
    Feb 25, 2003

check with your HR department, some companies offer adoption benefits. Where my husband used to work, they paid adoption expenses up to a certain amount, plus employees could participate in a legal benefits program for a small monthly fee that paid the legal fees part of the adoption.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

holliam Guest

Julie, I think the least expensive option is domestic with children currently in foster care. Many states have listings of foster children currently available for adoption. Not sure how old you are considering though. I think the youngest I've seen on our state's listing is about 3-4 years.

Otherwise, I'd say that the overall costs for international adoption are more or less in the same ballpark of costs. Every country is different so that will impact what you can do, though.

We are adopting from Guatemala, and I don't think I'd ever chance it without an agency. The actual agency costs are fairly minimal--only $5000 (not including homestudy which was another $1200 or all the INS or US government fees). The highest cost was actually directly to the Guatemalan lawyer, which was a total of $16000, paid in two $8k increments--one when we accept the referral and one when the adoption is final but before we travel. These amounts vary considerably from agencies and all adoptions in Guatemala are handled as private adoption; the government is not involved in terms of the placements, etc. Travel costs to Guatemala are quite low, and you are only required to stay for 3 days on the pickup trip.

Our daughter is in excellent private foster care, and her health is as good as it would be in the US. We just returned from visiting her at 3 months of age, which is another perk for the Guatemalan system.

I think the actual adoption costs in other countries is lower, but you also have longer in-country stays and more expensive travel costs.

Also, the adoption credit is based on your gross income. If you make over $150k, you get a reduced credit up to about $190k. I think over that, you cannot qualify for it at all.

Some companies also offer adoption benefits. Many people also get second mortgages on their home, or get unsecure loans with great interest rates.

It's unfortunate that adoption costs are as high as they are, but we are paying for our daughter's foster care, lawyer fees, etc. during the process so I feel like the costs are somewhat justified.

Good luck with your decision!

Holli

hjdong Guest

I would agree that the cheapest way to go would be through your county or state. You MAY have to wait longer - or shorter. The wait is more uncertain (as I understand it). And there are all ages available, although the younger you want, normally the longer the wait. The stressful part, in general, is that it takes longer for your adoption to be final, with the possibilty of biological family members stepping forward and deciding to take over. Again, I'm sure this is rare, but it just happened to friends of mine who were going to adopt a sibling group - 5 and 7 year old boys - only to have their mom get out of jail for neglecting them and drug abuse and apply to get custody. Now, of course, she has to jump through a bunch of hoops and my friends are fostering them in the meantime, but it was devastating. Particularly because they were told, "No one is going to come for these kids."

Another option is to look into special needs adoptions. Frequently you can get grants and there are all sorts of special needs available.

Most agencies do an excellent job of telling you the costs for different countries. I'm not sure about domestic.

HTH

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default JULIE- here is info describing the non agency usage in Ukraine

...like I have said before, one can use an agency who can help them with Ukraine they will supply aid here in the US, and will hire a facilitator in UKRAINE there for them...but since your question was about inexpensive adoptions I thought I'd share my tons and tons and tons of research on this in regards to UKRAINE.

Here is the web site STRAIGHT FROM THE GOVERNMENT
    http://travel.state.gov/adoption_ukraine.html

You will find the following blurbs on this one page:

This blurb:
    ADOPTION AGENCIES AND ATTORNEYS : Ukraine does not allow adoption agencies to operate or locate a child for adoption in Ukraine. However, facilitators are allowed to assist with translation and interpretation services.

This blurb actually states that the NAC will only have contact with the adoptive parents, and that it is the adoptive parents who must send in their info.

The Adoption Center, a part of the Ministry of Education, is the only legal Ukrainian authority for adoptions. It maintains the database of adoptable children available for both domestic and international adoptions. The Adoption Center is involved in the international adoption process from the moment prospective parents apply for registration until an adoption hearing is held in court. The National Adoption Center has a policy of direct contact with prospective adopting parents. Adopting parents must send their documents directly to the National Adoption Center.

Another blurb-
    Adopting parents who have registered with the Adoption Center may receive information about adoptable children only after they receive an invitation from the Adoption Center to travel to Ukraine. Under Ukrainian law, Ukrainian officials may not disclose information on adoptable children to agencies or other private citizens.

There is another blurb on how there is no fee for children either...thus explaining that any you pay is to "the help" with the exception of some small sums that they list.

So read these blurbs on the above page...the link takes you right to the page...
    I just wanted to show you what I meant when I said that agencies can not do anything on that side of the pond for you but hire a facilitator and translation team for you, they can not operate over there on your behalf. I hired my facilitator in seconds...I emeailed him and he responded :)
    Now many use agencies that help them on this side and then send them on to a facilitator over there. Most of these facilitators make themselves available to INDY families as well. In fact I only know of one who does not and will only allow himself to be hired by an agency. So if one went INDY he is the only one out of like 10 (plus) I have heard of who would not help you. The down side is he has a fantastic reputation...the upside is so does Oleg, the facilitator I have hired and several others...who also allows himself to be hired by agencies.

I hope this helps you, I got an email from someone questioning me so this is why I am posting this since you asked about ways to adopt and saving money.

I would spend my last penny on adopting if I needed to, I thank goodness have the money to go either route we would want to go...but from the research I have done in UKRAINE I don't have to and thus we are going INDY.

I hope that helps...my thread will help explain other things if it helps at all :)

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Neve
    Feb 25, 2003

jubilee Guest

Default discouraged about money

Thanks for the info, everyone! I am wading though all the info Neve referred to, you are right- you could write a book!! As for my hubby's company chipping in, that will never happen. He works for a small business and the benefits are nil. Fundraising might be an option, but that could take a real long time to come up with all the funds. The costs are just so discouraging.

Honestly, we are a very low middle-class family... so maybe we don't "deserve" to be able to adopt. It's not like we could just take the funds out of our savings or whatever- the funds don't exist. Maybe I'll win the lottery some day, but I suppose I'd have to pay in order to win. :(

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default RE: discouraged about money

yikes hate the word "deserve" there...for that is not it...
    keep in mind company aside you have the tax credit after the fact which helps....
    as you start researching things might come to you...

Hugs,
    Neve
    Feb 25, 2003

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast