Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    malie Guest

Default Can we do another update on everyone?

It's been awhile and I know that there are probably some people who are just lurking because they are only thinking about adoption but it would be really nice to hear from everyone no matter where they are in the process or if they are just thinking about maybe someday adopting.

One of my motivations for doing this is that I think that the more people get to read about adoption the more they understand it and also those who are sort of thinking about it will get to hear more about things.

So whether your child has been home 18 years or 18 months or isn't home yet or is just a future dream, let's hear from everyone.

malie Guest

Default We are getting ready to start for number 2

we actually were going to start in Nov. Well first we were going to wait until Jan but then we moved it to Nov but in the end we went back to Jan. We've both had our physicals and honestly I think that's why we didn't start before Jan because I didn't want to commit to something and then have a reason come up that we couldn't follow through (I know, I know, the chances of something coming up on a routine physical are slim to none but for some reason I was a bit parnoid this time around) plus I wanted to get a little bit better handle on money. So now that we got the money from DH's company and are looking at a huge tax refund (because of the adoption tax credit and the fact that Luke's adoption was actually final before the end of the year) we are better set to start. As I have already said we are going back to Korea and requesting another boy.

Luke had his 18 month appointment today and he hasn't gained much so we are having a weight check in April. He's pretty much off the charts for weight but the doctor isn't concern per say because his weight is good for his height. Anyway the problem with my fruit and veggie loving guy is that fruit and veggies are so low in calories. It's a joke isn't it? When your child eats the foods that are really healthy for them, they don't get same amount of calories as if they are eating the less healthy foods. :) Still he's a healthy little boy so the doctor isn't concerned but you know how it is.

So that's our update

hjdong Guest

Default RE: Can we do another update on everyone?

We are almost at our 1 year home mark. Actually, our official Chinese adoption date (although the day after gotcha day) happens to be Chinese New Year this year. Kind of a neat coincidence. I'm looking forward to our LAST set of paperwork (the one year follow up packet)! This year went so much faster than the last (the waiting year).

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well, our first year with our son has flown by. Parenthood is everything we imagined and hoped for, but it also gave us a few surprises along the way (how teeth marks can end up on the crib higher than the child, how such a smiley little guy can turn into stone at a picture studio, how quickly he learned to throw his toys over the gate, etc). But, while frustrating at times, I love every moment.

We will be starting the paperwork for a second attempt in a couple of weeks. We're hoping to be able to adopt a brother or sister for Connor soon so that they can be close in age. The paperwork will take less time (a lot of it is just being updated), but the wait could be longer. I'm hoping the wait might be a little easier since I have my son to occupy my time, but I'm probably fooling myself :)

Connor and I have also started to volunteer through our agency to speak along with adoptees and birthmothers about adoption. We go to local highschools and just try and provide education about what adoption is and how it has changed over the years, giving our stories and answering any questions, trying to clear up misconceptions about how it works. I'm a big advocate of adoption, so this lets me help out for something I believe in.

Congratulations to everyone who has adopted, good luck to those in the process, and welcome to the people thinking about adoption in the future or just trying to learn more.

Traci
    ~Connor's Mom~

evansdad Guest

We've adopted both our kids (Evan 3 1/2, Kylie 11 months) from a great agency in Oklahoma. They are both blond haired, blue eyed beauties, and we were there for both of their births.

Evan was born within 6 weeks of us getting our application in, which was obviously unusual. We were matched with Kylie's birth mom about a month after applying, and she was born 3 months later.

We lived in Kansas when Evan was born, and Ohio when Kylie was born. We chose Oklahoma because their laws greatly favor the adoptive parents, and our agency has been just terrific. We've referred a number of friends to them, and all have adopted within a year or so.

gotta run, Kylie's getting up from her nap.

Feel free to ask questions...I could talk about adoption all day.

Best of luck.

Dave

jubilee Guest

I am in the cheerleading stage- very excited to hear about everyone's adoption plans and SO wishing it could be me too! :) Besides that, I am often reading adoption journals and hoping I win the lottery so I could make this dream become a reality. Congratulations to everyone who is in process or pondering the decision to adopt!

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Julie, I'm pretty much in the same place as you. We make good cheerleaders, don't you think? :-) DH and I are considering it. Due to some complications I had with pregnancy, we've decided not to risk another. So we are deciding now between DS being an only child or adopting. Not sure yet what our decision will be.

My sister, on the other hand, is in the process of adopting from China. She was DTC in November, so is just waiting. And I'm waiting too, because I want to buy her some cute Hanna girl clothes! ;-)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just a cheerleader for now! But DH and I both feel that we will adopt down the road - perhaps once Colin is school age, particularly since DH can retire by then and stay home full time, if that makes sense for us (we can't afford for me to stay home full time since I make significantly more than DH). Hoping to give Colin a biological sibling sometime sooner than that, too.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

We have decided on China, as you all know. We are also requesting an infant girl. We will name her Maggie.

I think we are solid on our choice for agency- CCAI. We were going to use Nathanson for our homestudy but was told to stay away from them after I heard of people's experiences with the agency. I am investigating two more agencies for our homestudy. Once we make these final decisions and gather up our pennies, we will send in our application and begin!

I am currently reading "Lost Daughters of China" by Karin Evans. It is a very interesting read, even if you aren't adopting a child from China. I have joined several adoption groups and am trying to learn as much as I can!

I am also dreaming of our little girl. I want to start a journal for her, so she can one day understand why we adopted her and the process we had to go through. I want her to know that she has been born in my heart and that I love her, even though I haven't seen her face to face. I dream of her and the life our family will have once she is here.

Anyway, that is me and where I am!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

AdoptChina Guest

Default CCAI

Melissa
    We used CCAI and LOVED them!! They are an amazing agency and have wonderful in China staff.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast