Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Adopting Aimee Li Guest

Default RE: Any good places to see what's needed for a 6-12 month old?

I just saw this message:(

I've read that the Marathon is huge and we have a Ford Escape which is not all that big in the back seat...

Traci

holliam Guest

Traci,

I can give you the viewpoint of someone home for 3 weeks now with her 8 month old.

We didn't get exersaucer, bouncer, anything. Truth is, there is controvery as to whether those are beneficial or harmful to physical development. We also had hoped to wear her as much as possible to help with bonding.

DD is *very* active. She isn't crawling, but I think she is going to skip it. She can already stand unassisted for a few seconds by herself and can stand at furniture, etc.

You'll need a carseat for sure; we got the Roundabout. I wouldn't stock up on bottles. I thought I was smart and left Avent bottles in Guatemala with her foster mom who switched her to them, and then she refused them with us. We had to try several brands to get her to try them. Ditto with formula. Ditto with sippy cups. Ditto with pacifiers.

We do use changing table and pads on the counter in the bathroom, but she is wiggly so floor might be easier if my knee wasn't screwed up!

She took to her crib, but we were prepared to co-sleep if she preferred but she loves her crib.

We like her highchair. Since we didn't need one that reclined or anything, we got the Eddie Bauer wooden one, and we love it.

We cloth diaper so I hate onesies. I prefer separates on her.

Our favorite sun hats are from Hanna Andersson.

I think you can wait to see what you need for safety when you see what your child is like. Some kids never get into things you think they will.

For the in-laws, you might be better off getting guard rails for an extra bed in the house than a pack n play.

Baby carriers are hit and miss. We have pouches, slings, ABC, Ergo, frame backpack. Some she likes. Some we like. Some we actually both like. ;)

The real thing that struck me after bringing her home is that at this age they really come with their preset notions of how the world works. I spent so much time researching and preparing everything just perfectly, and *bam* she has her own ideas!

Like the sleep sack things. I knew they are safer. I have several in all sizes. She's been sleeping with a small pillow and blankets her whole life. Her pillow is her lovey. She moves around so much in her sleept that she hated her legs being locked in a sack. So, we gave it up and she still sleeps with her pillow. :)

We didn't buy many toys ahead of time because we wanted to see what type of kids she is. We figured out some of her interests right away and were able to choose some simple toys that she loves--musical instrument set, blocks, playsilks, oh and the empty water bottles with dried beans in them! LOL

Feel free to PM if you have any questions for a mama who is right in the middle of all this so it's fresh on my mind!

Holli

Adopting Aimee Li Guest

Thanks Holli!

Mari is so cute!:D

We checked out backseat last night and it looks like the Marathon will actually fit which is a good thing b/c I've heard in TX they're raising the carseat age from 4 to 5! I would hate to buy one car seat and then have to spend more on another car seat for the same child!

The issue w/ IL's is that there are no extra beds or extra room to put an extra bed...even a foldup portable bed or one of those blow up ones... The PNP seems like the best option for now b/c I know it will fit, they've put them in their LR before w/ cousins & SIL's friends baby.

I'm so happy to hear everything is going well!:D

Traci

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2