Default To anyone familiar w/ adopting from Russia...

...can you please explain the process to me as simply as possible?
    My friend is adopting a little girl from Siberia. It has been a long and stressful process. She has thus far made three trips to Russia. She is doing everything herself (no lawyer).

I am trying my best to be supportive and reassuring, but it is hard because I am not really familiar with the process or Russian laws.

TIA!

ETA: After her lastvisit, they said it might not be too long now. Please keep your fingers crossed! She has been waiting for two years.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

hjdong Guest

Default RE: To anyone familiar w/ adopting from Russia...

I'm not overly familiar with the Russian process, but I know that in Spring, 2005 they dramatically slowed the adoption process after some bad press and some internal reviews of their own process. This is not unusual in international adoption, but is very frustrating to those in process (off the top of my head China was stopped for a while, Vietnam was just re-opened, Cambodia is currently stopped - I'm more familiar with Asian countries).

Anyway, my Adoptive Families magazine just had an update, which is why I'm posting anything at all (again, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Russia). It said that (I'm cutting out most and sticking to what may pretain to your friend) "most experts believe that independent adoptions will soon be outlawed" and "when Russian Parliament reconvenes in September, adoption reform will likely be on its agenda."

When you say she is doing everything herself, that is an "independent adoption." Now, again, I know absolutely nothing about their process, and she maybe far enough along to escape the moratorium. Or, they might be rushing her along in order to get her done in time to be done before it.

Whatever the case maybe, Russian adoptions are currently in turmoil and I'm sure she must be stressed out (even when I'm sure she's trying her best to be upbeat). Continue to try to be reassuring and I hope everything works out well for her.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE Guest

Default RE: To anyone familiar w/ adopting from Russia...

My suggestion would be to be supportive and reassuring without even needing to know the process...

I would leave it to them to educate you on the process and I say that for the main reason in that if they are thinking it is a certain process it might not be right for someone not in their shoes, or in the process etc... telling them the process or even discussing their process without them knowing.

I don't know hard to explain where I am coming from, but I just see friends come to adoption boards all the time wanting to know such things so they can "help" in someway...and I guess I just think the best way to "help" is to be supportive and reassuring and maybe to stay in the dark some about the process. I would have resented my dearest friends seeking such info from elsewhere and then thinking they were in the know of my bumps and bruises due to their research on my process.

I think it is awesome you want to be supportive...and I would do just that...they will remember it!!!!
    I remember and will never forget those who were supportive of us, and on the flip side those who did not show any support.

You are doing what is right, I hope their travels are safe and quick!!!