Default Can any recommend a good international adoption "handbook"?

I know there are a lot of websites. I'm looking for something hardcover that would be a good introduction to the international adoption process: things like finding a lawyer, agencies, what to look for, questions to ask, etc, etc. Are there any books out there that are pretty updated/relevant?
    We're focusing on international adoption- likely China, though Thailand is in the mix if it's possible, and we're recently considering Guatemala as well.
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

Default RE: Can any recommend a good international adoption "handbook"?

Hi Marisa,
    We used this book when we were getting started (published in 2003)http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094...107929?ie=UTF8

I remember it being a pretty helpful since international adoption can feel so overwhelming...but the adoption world changes very quickly so it might be worthwhile checking out this book which was published in 2006 (I haven't read it,but just saw it on Amazon)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...lance&n=283155

A great website for adoption books is Tapestry Books...all adoption books! Another good resource is the Adoptive Families Magazine. If you are in an area with a good library system, I would recommend seeing what your library has in stock.

Here are the names of a few of my favorite adoption books:

Beyond Good Intentions
    Secret Thoughts of An Adoptive Mother
    A Love Like No Other

Good luck on your adoption journey! If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. We had a great experience with our adoption in Taiwan (another country to consider:)

holliam Guest

How wonderful that you are considering adoption! We used the same book as the previous person. There are also tons of websites out there for each country. The best source for Guatemalan adoption info is http://www.guatadopt.com

Guatemalan adoptions are somewhat risky right now. It has to do with the pending adoption of the Hague Treaty by the USA and Guatemala's inability to comply with it although they have technically joined it. It's a bit complicated and it may result in a shutdown or extreme slowdown of adoptions in 2007. Thus, many folks have started adoptions sooner than they had planned in hopes of avoiding the issue and now there are some additional slowdowns happening as a result of the increase. There is more going on behind the scenese on the Guatemalan side too. I just mention this because if you go to the Guatadopt site, you'll seen a lot of messages about the recent activity.

Holli

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Complete Adoption Book by Laura Beauvais-godwin and Raymond Godwin, Esq., ISBN 1-58062-334-4 is a great resource. There might even be a more recent edition as well.

As Holli said, Guatemala is in a bit of a slow down due to the Hague Treaty and adoptions can take a long time or be disrupted without much notice. China is not taking a little longer due to in country adoption but it is still very reliable and open.

My agency has a wonderful website where they lay out everything for you by country. They are very professional and upfront about timing, costs, country requirements, health of children, etc.
    www.ftia.org.
    Michele
    Mama to three girls

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm not experienced with international adoption yet, but some other good reads I like are:
    *Raising an Adopted Child
    *Making Sense of Adoption

Also, Adoption Today magazine is pretty good - seems to have much more international adoption stuff in there, including the latest on changes to each countries policies, etc.

Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You might also want to consider Korea for International Adoption - they have a wonderful program and very healthy babies. We got a good deal of info from: http://www.psbi.org/site/PageServer?..._Korea_Program
    ~Bill

Thank you all for your book and country suggestions. Greatly appreciated!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07

Thank you all for your book and country suggestions. Greatly appreciated!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07

I loved A Passage to the Heart: Writings from Families with Children from China

It is letters from the Families with Children from China's newsletter that have been collected and published. It tells the beautiful stories, as well as the things you might not want to think about. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

"I Wish for You a Beautiful Life: Letters from the Korean Birth Mothers of Ae Ran Won to Their Children" by Sarah Dorow is a great book if you're considering Korean adoption.
    ~Bill