newmomto3kids Guest

Default Need tips from adoptive parents...

We are adopting a little boy from Haiti, who is currently in an orphanage. After his last picture arrived with him wearing a pink "Thank heaven for little girls" shirt, we decided to send him some clothes. Besides clothes, do you have any suggestions for things to send him that would be appropriate for his surroundings.
    Do you think stuff will just get lost in the mix, and I shouldn't bother with personalized stuff.
    Any suggestions???
    Thanks!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...01/kenley3.jpg

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Need tips from adoptive parents...

I would think that whatever you send will probably stay there when he leaves so maybe solids would be a good option (tshirts/shorts/pants) .... so in the future other kids there wouldn't be wearing gender specific clothing (for the other gender)! Maybe blankets? I know you can buy nice soft blankets at target for pretty cheap. Diapers?

I wonder if they would appreciate toys?? Maybe some playground balls? I wonder if they could be shipped deflated and then inflated there? Or they may not have a pump so they might sit there flat. Beach balls maybe? they would be lighter to ship too! check Oriental trading Company for beach balls by the dozen!

Good Luck.... he really is a beautiful little boy by the way!

~Tondi

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Congratulations on your match! I hope the wait till you are joined with him goes quickly!

I would send things that you should expect to stay there. Send gender neutral clothes, blankets, rattles (if that's age appropriate), picture books...

I'd be hitting the local garage sales pretty hard.

Best of luck to you!

- Maria K

cmdunn1972 Guest

Maybe it would be a good idea to ask the orphanage if there are any items that are on their wish list, such as (gender-neutral) clothes, blankets, toiletries, or diapers.

Nemesia Guest

I don't have any tips, as we adopted our daughters domestically, but I wanted to say Congratulations, and your baby boy is precious!!

Jennifer