Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newmomto3kids Guest

Default Any updates from those adopting???

Just curious who else is out there waiting to bring a new little one home.
    Our dossier is in Haiti, presumably waiting to clear the first court process. Then it will go to IBESR and then little Kenley will be ours to bring home.
    The waiting seems unreal, and we still have so much longer to go.
    How is everyone else doing?

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Any updates from those adopting???

We just sent in our last bit of "pre-homestudy" paperwork to Welcome House for our Korean adoption. I figure we'll be getting a call any day now to start the homestudy process ..... again.

Not that it's a North Korean adoption - but everything going on over there worries us a bit plus with all the upcoming changes in S. Korea in January we're kind of in a wait and see mode. Hopefully there won't be a huge delay because of it.

I totally understand about the waiting - it was pretty much unbearable with Zach but we made it through and I'm sure you'll look back on it and think "wow that wasn't so bad afterall". Thankfully having Zach already makes this wait much easier. :)
    ~Bill

smkinc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Well--just updated my siggie!

I cannot imagine waiting many months once you had a referral. For DS #1, we had to wait 6 days, but knew he was in a safe place and that his birthmother couldn't back out of the placement.

We hope to have our pre-homestudy work complete this weekend. Then we wait for homestudy complete. Our agency (domestic US adoption) has had a lot of placements recently and so our homestudy may be completed relatively quickly this time. I told my boss about what was going on just in case we had a quick placement, but now feel I've 'jinxed' us and we'll wait another year! Like Bill, now that we have DS#1, I don't think the wait will be as oppressive as the 1st time around.

I don't know if adoption is any harder than giving birth, but for someone who likes to plan, the lack of predictability drives me crazy sometimes!

Mary
    Mom to J. Feb. '04
    Starting Homestudy for #2 Oct '06

Still waiting for the 171H......
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Congratulations to all who have made some progress and heartfelt sympathy for the wait. Our CIS approval finally came through and our paperwork has gone to China. Yea! At this point, best guess is a 14 month wait until referral and a 2 month wait to travel. Sigh.

newmomto3kids Guest

Good luck to you on your next homestudy, and for a smooth and quick process.
    I think having the other kids makes me so busy that I don't have as much time to sit and ponder the wait. Thank God for small miracles...

newmomto3kids Guest

As someone who has given birth and is doing an adoption, I would say they are very similar. There is a lot of waiting, wondering if everything will be OK with your child, hoping nothing goes wrong etc.
    I think in your case, there does seem to be a lot less predictability and then when the time comes, it all happens so fast. In our case (adopting a waiting child), it is a lot like my pregnancies. You know you are getting a child in a set number of months (or years!!) and then you just sit back and wait and wait. You may prepare a little here and there, but mostly you just wait.
    Good luck to you, I hope your process goes smoothly and quickly as well.

newmomto3kids Guest

How long has it been? I was surprised ours came pretty quickly. About 8 weeks after we submitted it, and that was including a request for more paperwork that delayed it a little.
    Hoping for a quick reply for you!!

newmomto3kids Guest

We are in a similar boat time-frame wise. We have our referral though, but I am not sure if that is easier or harder. Watching him grow up from far away is hard, but at least I get to know him a little.
    Will you bring home an infant or an older child?
    Good luck to you!

I have to say for me the first time the wait from referral to travel was much harder than waiting before the referral. Having that picture and information and still having to wait was really hard on me.

I expect our next one will be about a year or a little over when s/he comes home. DS was 13.5 months at adoption and that's really typical for the non-special needs program in China. So odds are that s/he hasn't been born yet!

Good luck to you too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast