Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newmomto3kids Guest

Default RE: Your thoughts on China's new adoption rules?

My opinion, however unpopular, is that they have the right to discriminate any way they desire. They are operating under a different set of standards that we do in the US. They also have different information than what is available to us here. While it might not make sense to us, they are doing what they feel they need to, in order to protect the best interests of their children. They also have to contend with public opinion in China about the exporting of their children.
    Each country that you look at for international adoption has their own set of standards and rules for adoptive parents. Some would be seen as arcane here, such as must be married, or over 35, or heterosexual, but I strongly feel that we, as Americans (or Canadians etc) have no right to expect them to bow to our standards because we believe them to be superior.
    But, that is just my opinion...

ITA.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Personally, I feel that, until the children enter our country, they are citizens of China and therefore China can set any restictions that they desire. They are doing what they think is best for their children and, culturally, the new guidelines fit within their concerns. The U.S. sets standards for potential adoptive parents and many other foreign countries have much stricter criteria to adopt (based on age, income, marital status, number of current children, sexual orientation). China is being singled out not only because the country has one of the highest numbers of children adopted into the U.S. each year, but because it was pretty open with their criteria. They also don't allow people younger than 30 to adopt. I would think it is fair to say that many people here on this board would disagree that 30 is a better age to raise a child than 26 (or any other age under 30, as far as being a capable, loving parent), but 30 is the magic number that China uses. They have an overwhelming number of people applying to adopt, so now they can be a little choosier, according to their culture and preferences for "good parents". We would be that way with our own child if we had to place them for adoption, why can't they?

FYI - an article about the culture view of obesity in China --
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...ck=1&cset=true

ETA - to clarify :)

"They also don't allow people younger than 30 to adopt and I would think it is fair that many people here on this board would disagree that 30 is a better age to raise a child than 26."

Now, Traci. Some of us are bad parents at any age ;)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

They also don't allow people younger than 30
    >to adopt and I would think it is fair that many people here on
    >this board would disagree that 30 is a better age to raise a
    >child than 26.

I agree 100% that China has the right to impose whatever restrictions they see fit. However, I don't think that there is any right age to parent at. Sorry, but if it is not ok (and I don't think it is) to say parents that have babies at 37 or 44 are "too old" (something no one could say on this board without being yelled at, LOL), I don't think it is ok to say most would agree that 30 is "better" than 24 or 44 or whatever. Heck, I recall someone getting chewed out on this board for mentioning that fertility decreases after 27. Biologically speaking and culturally speaking may be two different things after all.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Exactly. Sorry if it didn't come across the way I intended, but that is what I mean - there are few people who would say 30 is a better age than 26 or 44 or whatever number you want to choose. Some people are excellent parents at 23, while others are 50 and not ready. But China chooses the magic number of 30.

Already clarified above to another poster, but I am NOT saying that people here would think that 30 is a better age than pick-a-number-under-30 to raise a child (or that I believe that). I meant that many people on this board would disagree that being under 30 makes you any less capable of being a good parent than being 30 or above (as the guidelines for China state). Sorry for any confusion. :)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I read that at 7AM on no coffee and after a workout. So I read it not the way you intended. No worries. I think you both know that each of us thinks the other one is a dandy parent :P
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

cmdunn1972 Guest

Default Your thoughts on China's new adoption rules?

Just want to get the BBB adoption community's thoughts on China's new adoption rules for foreigners. IMO, it seems pretty ridiculous for the Chinese to discriminate against obese potential foreign parents for "health reasons" when Chinese themselves are notorious for being heavy smokers. Your take?

From the NY Times:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A9609C8B63

From Xinhua Online (Chinese source, in English):
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_5562016.htm

I don't think that most of the new rules are unreasonable. Like others have said, it is their country and they can set any requirements as they wish. I am sure glad we meet them though!!!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast