Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mom-in-waiting Guest

Default RE: Home study approved for adoption from foster care...

Hi. Glad that there's been a little bit of discussion on this board. It helps to know that there are others journeying down this path...

Well, its been almost three months now since I first posted this thread...and we're still waiting. We were told that things can be slow in the summertime, but it can still feel like no one is reading our homestudy!

My next door neighbor just sent off her youngest child for full-day kindergarten...so for the first time in years, she has her days without children. I know this is hard for her, but I couldn't help feeling a pang of sadness for our own situation. We can only hope and pray that some day our home will be filled with the voices of children.

Smile Help with DHS adoption assistance tips?

My wife and I are about to get help with adoption assistance with DHS, but do not know what to ask for or what would they help with? anyone with helpful tips can please help..

Are you doing foster/adopt? What ages are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by thony7 View Post
    My wife and I are about to get help with adoption assistance with DHS, but do not know what to ask for or what would they help with? anyone with helpful tips can please help..
    Different agencies in different states will pay different amounts for different children. (Informaive, huh?)

When I started fostering, I got $199/mo to cover "all" of her needs. That was 3 years ago.

Things got a little more "fair" for a while, and I managed to get "full rate" for a while (it was a kinship placement). However, when guardianship and adoption talks started, our state laws changed, so that a foster/adopt-parent-to-be was made to "fight" for every penny. In my state, adoption/guardianship assistance won't assist with daycare, room and board, typical food costs, or transportation costs.

A quick breakdown of what they would cover:

Special nutritional supplements ($30/wk)
    Enrichment classes (partial payments, $20/mo, I had to cover the difference)
    Sports (again, partial payments, $20/mo with me covering the rest)

Total: $160. Oh, and state medical coverage until she's 18yo.

I have friends, however, in different states, or pre-new-law that have an easier time with the money in their home because their assistance is significantly higher....
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2